These DAV Class 5 SST Book Solutions and DAV Class 5 SST Chapter 8 Question Answer – Respecting Regional Differences are thoughtfully prepared by experienced teachers.
DAV Class 5 SST Chapter 8 Question Answer – Respecting Regional Differences
DAV Class 5 SST Ch 8 Question Answer – Respecting Regional Differences
Something To Know
A. Tick (✓) the correct option:
How many islands are there in Andaman and Nicobar?
What kind of food is popular in Andaman and Nicobar?
(a) Chinese food
(c) Italian food
Where is Hawa Mahal located?
Which is the popular dance of Rajasthan?
B. Fill in the blanks:
distances, rice, Hindi, Cellular, Jaipur
1. An amazing variety of dishes are cooked in South India ………………
2. Differences do not create ………………
3. Many freedom fighters were jailed in …………….. Jail.
4. ……………. is famous as the Pink City.
5. ……………… is the main language of Rajasthan.
C. State Whether True or False:
1. All tribals were not hunters in earlier times.
2. The followers of Animism believe in souls and ghosts.
3. The Onge tribe sings to accompany the dancers.
4. Marwari is the main language of Andaman.
5. We must respect regional differences.
D. Answer briefly:
The staple diet of the North Indians is wheat. Why?
Wheat is grown on a large scale in North India.
Name the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Which tribal group uses a lot of jewelry to adorn their bodies?
The Jarawa tribal group uses a lot of jewelry to adorn their bodies.
What do the Rajasthanis celebrate life with?
Rajasthanis celebrate life with music and dance.
List the traditional music communities of Rajasthan.
Bhats, Charans, Bhopas, and Dholis are the traditional music communities of Rajasthan.
E. Answer the following questions:
“Food habits of people depend upon agriculture of a place.” Give two examples in support of your answer.
It is a fact that food habits of people depend agriculture of the place. Two examples in support of this are—
- Rice is cultivated widely in South India. Hence, rice is the staple diet of people here. They cook different varieties of rice dishes.
- Almonds grow in Kashmir and therefore, form an important ingredient of many Kashmiri dishes.
What are the important features of the food habits of the people in Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
The important features of the food habits of the people in Andaman and Nicobar Islands are –
- In earlier times there was no particular form of cuisine. But now seafood like fish, prawns, crabs, and lobsters is quite popular here.
- North Indian and Bengali cuisines are popular here. South Indian food is also common among the islanders.
- Rice is the staple diet of the people of this island.
- Spices like pepper, clove, nutmeg and cinnamon form important ingredients of the people of the island.
Write a note on the dance and music of the Islanders.
The islanders celebrate most Indian festivals like Durga Puja, Pongal, Panguni Uthiram, Onam, Mahashivaratri, Janmashtami, Holi, Diwali, Christmas and Good Friday with dance and music. Nicobari dance – is the traditional dance of Andaman and Nicobar. It can be seen during the Ossuary Feast, known as the Pig Festival. The Andamanese are fond of their traditional music. The dancers move gracefully to the music and songs of the Onge tribe.
Describe the colorful dresses, dance and music of Rajasthan.
Dresses – Rajasthanis are fond of colourful dresses, made from bandhani, lehariya and motra. Rajasthani ghagras, rhinos and cholis with embroidery, block printing, mirror and gota work are in great demand. The Rajasthani men wear traditional dresses like dhoti, banda and angarkha. Different styles of tying turbans are popular in the state.
Dance and music – Rajasthanis celebrate life with music and dance. The sons of poets like Kabir, Malookdas, Meera are an important part of the folk music of Rajasthan. Some Rajashtanis communities like Bhats, Charans, Bhopas and Dhotis are famous musiciAnswer: The popular dances of Rajasthan are Ghoomer, Chari, Kachi, Ghodi, etc.
Why is it important to respect regional differences? Give three reasons.
It is important to respect regional differences because of the following reasons –
- The understanding and respect for the food habits, languages, culture, faiths and beliefs of others make Indian culture rich and unique.
- It makes people of the country tolerant, broad-minded and global.
- It establishes a society based on harmony and fraternity. Everyone is encouraged to live in a peaceful manner.
F. Search the names of 10 different food items from the following grid. One is done for you:
“India is a land of unity in diversity.” People from different cultures live in complete harmony with each other. List a few things which bind the Indian people in a bond of love and togetherness.
A few things which bind the Indian people in a bond of love and together-ness are—
- Our three national festivals
- National Flag
- National Anthem/National Song
- National Animal and Bird
- National Flower
On a political map of India, locate and mark the following:
1. Pink city of India.
2. An island group of India located in Bay of Bengal.
3. A southern state where rice is widely cultivated.
4. A northern state where almonds are grown.
Something To Do
Prepare a report about the crops, dresses, religion and food habits of the region that you belong to.
I belong to Punjab.
- Crops grown in Punjab are barley, wheat, rice, maize and sugarcane.
- Dresses: The traditional dress for Punjabi men is the punjabi kurta and tehmal. The traditional dress for women is the Punjabi Salwar suit. The Patiala Salwar is also popular.
- Religion: Sikhism, Hinduism, Islam, Christianity and Jainism.
- Food: Sarson ka Saag and makki ke roti, chhole-bature, naan, butter chicken, mutter paneer, tandoori chicken, samosa,pakoras, etc.
Find out important features about a place that you want to visit.
I want to visit Jammu and Kashmir, the paradise on earth. Important features about this place are –
(a) Jammu and Kashmir is a mountainous place with a beautiful valley and lakes.
(b) It has a number of hill stations which attract thousands of tourists from all over India and abroad.
(c) It is famous for its breathtaking scenery and adventure holidays.
(d) The houseboats and shikaras in Dal Lake are very attractive.
(e) Jammu and Kashmir is rich in flora and fauna.
(f) There are the number of pilgrimages located in the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
Organize a festival celebration where each section of Class-V showcases a different state of India.
Do it yourself.
Collect information about the tribals of Andaman and Nicobar Islands and the nomads of Rajasthan and hold a discussion in the class. Make a presentation in the class.
Do it yourself.
Many tribes inhabit others states of India. Find information about one such tribe on the points— area, language, livelihood, customs, etc.
Do it yourself.
DAV Class 5 Social Science Chapter 8 Question Answer – Respecting Regional Differences
I. Multiple Choice Questions (Mcqs)
Tick (✓) the correct option:
They form an important ingredient of many Kashmiri dishes –
The number of tribal groups living in Andaman and Nicobar is –
The tribal group that does not wear any clothes is the –
The main language of Rajasthan is –
Bhats of Rajasthan are famous –
II. Fill In The Blanks:
1. Most people in Rajasthan are ………………
2. The Rajasthani men wear traditional …………….. dresses like dhoti, banda and
3. The religion of the inhabitants of ………………. Andaman and Nicobar Islands is called the Animism
4. Nicobari dance is the ……………. dance of Andaman and Nicobar.
5. Rice is cultivated widely in ………………..
5. South India.
1. Wheat is the staple diet of the people of Andaman and Nicobar.
2. The Andamanese are not fond of dance and music.
3. The capital of Rajasthan is Jaipur.
4. The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are known as Mini India.
5. The art of tie and die is famous in Rajasthan.
6. The people of Andaman and Nicobar Islands celebrate Teej and Gangaur.
IV. Match The Following:
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Dal-bati Choorma||(i) horse gram|
|2. Khud Khargosh||(ii) Port Blair|
|3. Chauna||(iii) traditional dish of Rajasthan|
|4. The Ossuary Feast||(iv) rabbit meat cooked in a pit|
|5. Lake Palace||(v) Andaman and Nicobar|
|6. Marina Park||(vi) Udaipur|
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Dal-bati Choorma||(iii) traditional dish of Rajasthan|
|2. Khud Khargosh||(iv) rabbit meat cooked in a pit|
|3. Chauna||(i) horse gram|
|4. The Ossuary Feast||(v) Andaman and Nicobar|
|5. Lake Palace||(vi) Udaipur|
|6. Marina Park||(ii) Port Blair|
V. Name The Following:
1. The religion of the inhabitants of Andaman and Nicobar Islands …………….
2. The famous dance form of Andaman and Nicobar ……………
3. The Indian city famous as the name of Pink City ………………
4. The prime language of Rajasthan ……………….
1 . Animism
2. Nicobari Dance
VI. Jumbled Words:
1. spatle ……………….
2. evdistiyr ……………….
3. csuinei ……………….
4. blotesr ……………….
5. ubtanrs ……………….
6. olcoufrul ……………….
7. draitional ……………….
VII. Cross The Odd One:
1. dhoti: ghagras: odhinis: cholis
2. Vishnu; Shiva; Teej; Varuna
3. Marwari; Pushkar; Mewari; Mewati
4. Islam; Hinduism; Jainism; Tamil
5. Orange; papaya; clove; sapota
6. fish; tradition; prawn; crab
VIII. Short Answer Type Questions
Mention three special features of the people of Bhogpur district of Punjab.
- People here belong to different castes and religions but live in complete harmony. There are no signs of any discrimination among different communities.
- They celebrate many festivals together like Deepawali, Holi, Eid, Guru Nanak Jayanti, etc.
- Most people here are vegetarians but they respect those who enjoy non-vegetarian food.
Name the tribal groups that live in Andaman and Nicobar.
- The Great Andamanese
- The Jarawas
- The Sentinelese
- The Onges
- The Nicobarese
- The Shonens
WriR cc points about the art and ar xture of Andaman and Nicobar aids.
- The people in olden times lived in caves, tree houses or thatched huts.
- The Cellular Jail is the most well- known building here.
- The popular crafts of Andaman and Nicobar Islands are palm mats, wooden show pieces, cane and bamboo wall hangings.
Mention the main crops and spices grown in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The main crops are – pulses, oilseeds, vegetables, coconut, areca nut, mango, sapota, organe, banana, papaya, pineapple and cashew. The main spices are – pepper, clove, nutmeg and cinnamon.
IX. Long Answer Type Questions
What do you know about the religious beliefs of the inhabitants of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The religion of the inhabitants of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is called the Animism. The tribals believe that in earlier times their deity Paluga, resided at the highest mountain peak of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands — the Saddle Peak. But now the deity lives higher up in the sky. The followers of animism believe in souls, ghosts and spirits. Other religions followed here are Islam, Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism, Sikkism and Jainism.
Write in brief about the art and architecture of Rajasthan.
The art and architecture of Rajasthan in very rich. It is the place where one can find innumerable forts, palaces, havelies and step wells. They they are a great attraction for tourists from all over the world. The buildings have huge courtyards, gardens, corridors and jhorakhas. The use of red stone, marble inlay and filigree work add to the beauty of the buildings. The walls of most buildings are decorated with beautiful paintings.
DAV Class 5 SST Chapter 8 Notes – Respecting Regional Differences
- Indian culture is rich and unique. People living in different regions of our country have different food habits, dresses, languages, religions, customs and traditions.
- We must have understanding and respect for people’s food habits, culture, faiths and beliefs. Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Rajasthan highlight the great diversities in Indian culture.
- Andaman and Nicobar is a group of 572 islands. But only 38 islands are inhabited mainly by six groups of tribal.
- Sea food like fish, prawns, crabs, lobsters, etc. is very popular here. Rice is the staple diet of the islanders. North Indian and Bengali cuisine are also liked by them.
- In earlier times the tribals did not wear clothes. But many of them have now started wearing clothes. The Jarawas use a lot of jewellery to adorn their
- The religion of the inhabitants of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is called the Animism. Its followers believe in souls, ghosts and spirits. Christianity, Hinduism, etc. are also followed.
- The most common languages in Andaman and Nicobar Islands are Hindi and English The tribals have their own dialects too.
- Rajasthan is a favourite tourist destination for many. It is dotted with innumerable forts, palaces, havelies and step wells. The use of red stone, marble inlay and filigree work add beauty to the buildings.
- The people of Rajasthan are mostly vegetarians. They are fond of colourful dresses, made from bandhini, lehariya and motra. Different styles of tying turbans are followed in Rajasthan.
- Cuisine: Dishes/foods.
- Animism: The belief that plants, objects and natural things such as the weather have a living soul.
- Script: A set of letters in which a language in written (alphabet).
- Architecture: The art and study of designing buildings.
- Vegetarian: A person who does not eat meat or fish.