These DAV Class 5 SST Book Solutions and DAV Class 5 SST Chapter 12 Question Answer – Communication in Modem Times are thoughtfully prepared by experienced teachers.
DAV Class 5 SST Chapter 12 Question Answer – Communication in Modem Times
DAV Class 5 SST Ch 12 Question Answer – Communication in Modem Times
Something To Know
A. Tick (✓) the correct option:
Which one is a method of personal communication?
What does SMS stands for?
(a) Short Message Service
(b) Simple Message Service
(c) Skype Messaging Service
(a) Short Message Service
Which one is a social networking site?
(a) Internet Explorer
B. Fill in the blanks:
communication, satellites, teleconferencing, e-mail, harmed
1. Television programmes can be viewed from any part of the world with the help of
2. is similar to private messaging through the Internet.
3. is a useful means of conducting meetings and holding group discussions across the world.
4. The modern means of communication have the social skills of people.
5. Telephone is a wonderful way of two way
C. Match the following:
|1. Facebook||(a) Man-made satellites|
|2. Text messages||(b) Internet|
|3. Group discussions||(c) Video conferencing|
|4. Television telecast||(d) SMS|
|5. Radio||(e) Mass communication|
|1. Facebook||(b) Internet|
|2. Text messages||(d) SMS|
|3. Group discussions||(c) Video conferencing|
|4. Television telecast||(a) Man-made satellites|
|5. Radio||(e) Mass communication|
D. Answer briefly:
What is communication?
It is the process of sending and receiving messages by speaking, writing or using some other medium.
Name any two means of mass communication.
List the benefits of a mobile phone.
- It allows access to parents, friends and business contracts, residing anywhere in the world.
- It provides services like test messaging, videos, radios, etc.
Name any two social networking sites.
Which are your favourite means of communication? Why?
My favourite means of communication is the mobile phone because I can talk to my parents, friends and relatives anytime, anywhere by using this device.
E. Answer the following questions:
What does the term “Tele Conferencing” mean? How does it help in education and business?
The term ‘Tele conferencing’ means the exchange of information between people who are not at the same place physically. It plays an important role in the field of education and business. It allows students to exchange information with students/ teachers in other countries. It allows business companies to conduct meetings, instructions for customers/ staff training, demonstrations and even workshops.
“The modern means of communication have harmed the social skills of people.” Justify the statement.
It is a fact that all the modern means of communication have badly affected the social skills of people. They have forgotten the joys of getting together and talking to each other. They have become so fond of surfing, chatting and messaging that they never realise that they are wasting their precious time. Internet and mobile have become an addiction. This addiction has gripped them many problems such as sleeplessness, loneliness, information explosion, etc.
E-mail has replaced letters. Explain with examples.
E-mail has replaced letters and postcards almost completely in urban areas. E-mails are quicker to write and send. One can be sure that they will reach the addressee instantly. Moreover, one can use the internet service through a mobile phone in case there is no computer or laptop.
How has the internet made communication almost instant?
The internet service and the e-mail address enable us to establish communication almost instantly. A lot of people communicate through social networks, such as Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, etc. They share the news, useful information, pictures, funny videos, and so on.
List four disadvantages of the modern means of communication.
- Modern means of communication have harmed the social skills of people.
- People have forgotten the joys of getting together and talking to each other.
- Internet and mobile have become an addiction. They are creating problems like sleeplessness, loneliness, etc.
(iv) People waste precious time in surfing, chatting and messaging.
F. Circle the names of famous inventors:
1. Electric bulb – Thomas Edison
2. Aeroplane – Wright Brothers
3. Steam Engine – James Watt
4. Telephone-Alexander Bell
6. Printing Machine – Gutenberg
7. Television – John Baird
8. Radio – Marconi
9. Master Mathematician – Aryabhatta
10. Computer – Charles Babbage
These days people are using various social networking sites like Facebook, twitter, etc. Some social networking sites ban the opening of an account by children below 18 years. What is your opinion about it? Explain with too examples.
Social networking sites are exposed to everything. So, they should be used cautiously and wisely. As children are not mature enough to understand everything properly. They should not be allowed to be free for all. Their mind and behaviour may be affected badly. So, parents should always be careful to what their children use, watch and follow on social networking sites.
Many people talk very loudly on mobile phones in public places, public transport, public buildings and even in hospitals. How can you stop this bad behaviour?
Using mobile phones with loud voices is a bad manner. We often see that even some educated people also do it. I would like to spread awareness among those who do it. I will use posters, and seminars for it. I will ask such people to stop it instantly if I see them. But I will do it all in a polite manner.
On a political map of India, find out, locate, label and colour the following:
1. The first Wi-Fi city.
2. The city where the first newspaper was published.
3. A state with highest literacy rate.
4. City having headquarters of All India Radio.
Something To Do
Describe the pleasure that you get when you receive a letter from loved one. Does an e-mail give you similar pleasure?
Last Saturday I got a letter from grandfather, who lives at my native place in a village. I can’t describe my pleasure in words. This was the second time that he had written to me. The lovely words that he uses show how deeply he loves me and my parents. I read each and every word two-three times. The more I read, the more I get pleasure. My grandfather is so nice; so affectionate. I really adore him. I don’t think, an e-mail from him will give me a similar pleasure.
Discuss with your parents and teachers and find out the problems that have been created by instant communication.
Following are few of the problems created by instant communication:
- Instant messages provide you with very little in terms of security. Your message can be heard and viewed by others as well.
- Instant communication can distract you from the task you are performing or concentrating on.
- Instant communication gives very little time to think and react and that can be dangerous at some instances.
Have a class debate on the topic children should be allowed to bring mobiles to school.
Small children should not be allowed to bring mobiles to school. They are too small to take care of mobiles. Even if they take good care of them, they will be diverted from their studies. Having a mobile phone in their pocket, I don’t think they will be able to concentrate on their studies.
List the important points that you must keep in mind while using a mobile phone in public places.
- I would not talk loudly on my mobile phone.
- I would stand at a place away from the traffic and then talk.
Are there any means of communication you cannot live without? Why? Give two reasons.
I cannot live without the morning newspaper. Every morning I wait for it impatiently. The newspaper keeps me updated. It makes me familiar with several new words every day and thus enhances my vocabulary.
What are the sources of entertainment for people who live without a TV set, computer or radio? Give two reasons.
These people usually get together under a huge tree in their neighbourhood and talk on various subjects ranging from politics to household activities. They also share their joys and sorrows, celebrate festivals together and enjoy the time.
You have to advise your teacher to watch an interesting and informative programme on T.V. which programme would it be? Why?
I will advise my teacher to watch Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC) the quiz programme anchored by Mr. Amitabh Bachchan because it will enhance the general knowledge skills of the viewer.
DAV Class 5 Social Science Chapter 12 Question Answer – Communication in Modem Times
I. Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
Tick (✓) the correct option:
In earlier times written messages were delivered by –
(b) Horse riders
The most popular method of communication is –
What does ‘S’ in MMS stand for?
Twitter is a popular social networking site. It was created in the year-
Video conferencing is perfect for-
(a) Staff meetings
(a) Staff meetings
II. Fill in the Blanks:
1. E-mail is the most popular way of personal or business …………….
2. Moon Orbit Mission (MOM) was India’s first ……………… to receive signals and information from Mars.
3. …………….. is a means of conveying a message to a large number of people at the same time.
4. E-mails have replaced ………….. and postcards almost completely in urban areas.
5. Video conferences can also be recorded and made available on …………… , pen drives, etc.
Answer: 1. communication
3. Mass communication
1. Telegraph is still popular for sending urgent messages through a system of codes.
2. Tele-conferencing and videoconferencing are arranged through satellite.
3. The use of Skype through internet is the most popular way for communication these days.
4. Wi-Fi facility is not provided free in India.
5. The modern means of communication have developed the social skills of people.
IV. Match the Following:
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Tele conference||(i) a social networking site|
|2. Video conference||(ii) an audio conference|
|3. My Space||(iii) means of mass communication|
|4. Fax, internet||(iv) an audio and video conference|
|5. Radio, books||(v) means of personal communication|
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Tele conference||(ii) an audio conference|
|2. Video conference||(iv) an audio and video conference|
|3. My Space||(i) a social networking site|
|4. Fax, internet||(v) means of personal communication|
|5. Radio, books||(iii) means of mass communication|
V. Name the Following:
1. The exchange of information between people who are not at the same place …………………
2. Conducting a conference between two or more people, who are at different places, by using computer networks to transmit audio and video information ………………….
3. The great source of communication, information and entertainment …………………
4. The popular social networking site created in the year 2008 …………………
VI. Jumbled Words:
1. tinetner …………………
2. ttwtier …………………
3. msasege …………………
4. sllateite …………………
5. letevsionl …………………
6. evidos …………………
7. uadios …………………
6 . videos
VII. Cross the Odd One:
1. radio; fax; letter; internet
2. newspapers; fax; television; radio
3. Facebook; My Space; Twitter; Satellite
4. airports; hotels; pictures; railway stations
VIII. Short Answer Type Questions
What were the different means that ancient people adopt to share their thoughts or ideas with each other?
- In ancient times people used expressions, actions and drawings to convey or record the feelings.
- Messages were also conveyed by drum beats or smoke signals in some parts of the world.
Mention three features of mobile phone.
- Mobile phone is a very useful device which allows access to parents, friends and business contacts, residing anywhere in the world.
- It is the most popular means of communication which is used by rickshaw-puller to a top official.
- It provides a lot of services like text messaging, videos, radio, games, calculators, internet, etc.
What do you know about Wi-Fi facility?
WiFi facility allows computers, smartphones or other devices to connect to the Internet or communicate with one another wirelessly, within a particular area. This facility is provided free in India at many airports, hotels, public places, business houses and a few railway stations.
How are both teleconferencing and video conferencing useful?
They are useful means of conducting meetings, holding group discussions or giving emergency alert or other information to people spread across the country or around the world.
IX. Long Answer Type Questions
Describe in brief the gradual development in the means of communication.
The ancient man used sign language, cries, shouts and hoots of laughter to convey their message or feelings. These gradually developed into spoken language and script – the written language. In earlier times written messages were delivered by pigeons and horse riders.
The development in the postal system was able to connect even the remotest of places. The invention of the telephone proved to the next major development in the means of communication. Needless to say the telephone is a wonderful means of two-way communication. Then came mobile phones, the Internet which has reached each and every part of the world.
What does the term ‘video conferencing’ mean? How does it take place?
The term ‘video conferencing’ means conducting a conference between two or more participants, who are at different places, by using computer networks to transmit audio and video information. The system works like a video telephone. Each participant has a video camera, microphone and speakers on his/her computer. As the two participants speak to one another, their voices are carried over the network and heard by the other participants, through the speakers. The images that appear in front of the video camera, can be seen on the other participant’s monitor.
DAV Class 5 SST Chapter 12 Notes – Communication in Modem Times
- There are many ways through which we communicate with others. The sign language, cries, shouts and hoots of laughter of ancient man gradually developed into spoken language and script i.e. written language.
- Letter, fax, telephone, intérnet, etc. are means of personal communication. Radio, television, newspaper, books, etc. are means of mass communication.
- Mobile phone, satellites, internet, email, twitter, video conferencing and teleconferencing are the modern means of communication.
- Text messaging is the most popular, instant, convenient and cheapest form of communication through a mobile phone.
- Internet is playing an important role in business, industry, education, health care, travelling, etc. E-mail is the most popular way of personal or business communication.
- Twitter is a popular social networking site. It was created in 2008 . The concept of twitter revolves around the idea that people can stay updated, without spending a lot of time.
- Video conferencing is conducting a conference between two or more participants, who are at different places, by using computer networks to transmit audio and video information.
- Tele conferencing is the exchange of information between people who are at the same place physically. It requires either a simple conference type speaker phone or microphone and speaker system to converse/exchange information and ideas with others.
- Communication: The process of sending and receiving messages by speaking, writing or using some other medium.
- Telephone: A means of two-way communication where you can speak as well as hear at the same time.
- Fax or Facsimile: An electronic device that transmits handwritten or printed material like letters, diagrams, etc.
- Wi-Fi: A facility that allows computers, smart phones or other devices to connect to the internet or communicate with one another wirelessly, within a particular area.
- Video-conferencing: It is conducting a conference between two or more participant, who are at different places, by using computer networks to transmit audio and video information.
- Tele-conferencing: It is the exchange of information between people who are not at the same place physically.