These DAV Class 5 SST Book Solutions and DAV Class 5 SST Chapter 11 Question Answer – Respecting Regional Differences are thoughtfully prepared by experienced teachers.
DAV Class 5 SST Chapter 11 Question Answer – Transport in Modem Times
DAV Class 5 SST Ch 11 Question Answer – Transport in Modem Times
Something To Know
A Tick (✓) the correct option:
Development in science and technology has replaced –
(a) Steam engine
(b) Petrol engine
(c) Diesel engine
(a) Steam engine
What is an indicator of the level of development of a county?
It is the fastest and most comfortable means of transport –
The length of India’s coastline is –
(a) 7617 km
(b) 3500 km
(c) 6872 km
(a) 7617 km
Which is the busiest air route in India?
B Fill in the blanks:
price, states, border, diesel, overseas, fuel
1. Efforts are being made to reduce the consumption of petrol and …………….
2. National highways link all …………….. of India.
3. ……………. water transport is mainly for trade and tourism.
4 Increase in transportation cost is added to the ……………. of an item.
5 ……………. roads are constructed along the borders for the movement of army.
6 Vehicles cannot run without ……………..
C State Whether True or False:
1 Roads have encouraged national unity ……………..
2 The first train covered a distance of 134 kilometres ……………
3 Earlier pipelines were used for gas transportation …………….
4 Use public transport system to reduce traffic on roads ………….
5 Crude oil is supplied by trucks to the oil refineries ……………
D Answer briefly:
Mention two problems created by increase in road traffic.
An increase in road traffic creates these problems –
- traffic jam
- road accidents.
What are the advantages of airways?
- It is the fastest and most comfortable mode of transport.
- It can cover difficult landforms like mountains, deserts, water bodies without any problem.
Which is the best mode of transport? Why?
The best means of transport are walking and cycling because they do not depend upon fuel and keep us fit.
Name any two renewable sources of energy.
- solar power
- wind energy.
List two changes that have improved railways in recent times.
- Metros have emerged as the most comfortable and clean mode of transport in cities.
- With the advent of internet, it is very easy now-a-days to book a ticket online for your Railway Journey.
E Answer the following questions:
List three ways in which a well- developed transport system affects the lives of people.
- A well-developed transport system helps in the movement of raw materials to the factories and finished goods to the markets.
- It helps in the distribution of goods and services to the local, national and international markets.
- It helps us to meet people from different parts of the world. We learn about their thoughts, ideas, languages, customs, traditions, etc.
In which four ways are railways better than roadways?
- Railways are an important mode of transportation for freight and passengers in India. They can carry people in bulk.
- Railways make it possible to conduct various activities such as business, sightseeing, etc. in less time.
- We have the Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains, speeding at 145 km/hour. Thus, we can save our precious time by travelling in these trains.
- Journey by trains is more comfortable because they are equipped with modem amenities. It is more economical than other means of transport.
Name the items transported by pipeline transportation. Mention two advantages of pipeline transportation.
The items transported by pipeline transportation are — water, crude oil, petroleum products and natural gas. Two advantages of pipeline transpor-tation are:
- Pipelines can be laid on any type of surface without the fear of damage from storms, rain, snow, etc.
- Pipelines cut the transportation cost of goods and reduce the possibilities of delay or loss which might occur in roadways and railways.
Briefly describe the different types of roads of India.
Different types of roads of India are –
- National Highways: They act as the main road network in the country by linking all states of India.
- State Highways: They connect state capital with different districts within the state.
- District Roads: They are branch roads that connect district headquarters with other places of the district.
- Village Roads: They link the villages with towns.
- Border Roads: They are constructed and maintained along the borders of India. They are important for the defence of our country and the movement of army.
How can renewable sources of energy help in reducing pressure on petrol and diesel?
Renewable sources of energy like solar energy, wind energy, natural gas, etc. should be used more and more because they can be renewed or reproduced. Here, it is worth mentioning that India has enormous possibilities of tapping solar energy because it is a tropical country.
Also, our country is bestowed with largest wind farm cluster to make effective use of wind energy. Therefore, these sources of energy should be utilised more and more so that pressure on petrol and diesel can be reduced.
Imagine a day in your life when there are no means of transport. How will you reach your school? What will you learn from such an experience?
I will have to go to my school on foot. Life would become very tough in the absence of any means of transport. Everything will come to stand still. There is no denying the fact that means of transport are the lifeline of a country’s economy. We cannot make progress without them.
On a political map of India, locate, label and colour the following-
1. Two cities having international airports.
2. Two major seaports of India.
3. Two national highways
Something To Do
Railways suffer from certain problems like without ticket passengers, pulling chain to stop the trains, attacks by terrorists, theft and damage to railway property, etc. Suggest some ways to put a stop on such activities.
Do it yourself.
How does increase in fuel prices affect the prices of vegetables, fruits and grains? Give two examples.
Most vehicles run on petrol or diesel. They affect the prices of all commodities like vegetables, fruits, grains, etc. An increase in the prices of petrol and diesel means an increase in the prices of these commodities.
Prepare a timeline chart of the inventions and discoveries in the means of transport that changed the life of man.
Do this task with the help of the Internet or a general-knowledge book.
Find out the significance of subways, flyovers and highways in modern times
A subway is an underground railway/ railroad system in a city to provide safety to the commuters who go from one place to another on foot.
Flyover is a bridge that carries one road over another one. In big cities we can see several flyovers to decongest the traffic on main roads.
Highway is a main road for travelling long distances, especially one connecting and going through cities and town. Highways serve a great purpose while travelling over a state or national highway, we can see a number of trucks transporting a variety of goods ranging from food items, milk, cement, logs, iron pods and cars from one state to another, or within a state.
DAV Class 5 Social Science Chapter 11 Question Answer – Transport in Modem Times
I. Multiple Choice Questions (Mcqs)
A. Tick (✓) the correct option:
The National Highway No.l runs between Delhi and –
An increase in the number of vehicles means an increase in –
(a) Road accidents
The first train steamed off from –
(a) Mumbai to Thane
(b) Delhi to Amritsar
(c) Thane to Mumbai.
(a) Mumbai to Thane
The number of major seaports in India is –
Fossil fuels are found in the form of –
One of the following in non-renewable sources of energy –
(b) Wind energy
(c) Natural gas
II. Fill In The Blanks:
1. The early vehicles used …………… energy.
2. The full form of CNG is Compressed ……………. Gas.
3. Waterways are most suitable for carrying heavy and …………….. goods.
4. The …………….. made the first successful flight of an aeroplane.
5. ……………. monorail is the first monorail in India.
6. India has a long …………….. of 7,617 kilometres.
7. The village roads link the ……………… with towns.
4. Wright Brothers
1 Transport system is an indicator of the development of a country.
2 The border roads are important for the defence of our county.
3 The Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains run at the speed of 100 kilometres per hour.
4 Overseas waterways are mainly used over seas and oceans for trade and tourism.
5 We must not use CNG because it increases pollution.
6 Steam energy was produced from boiling water.
IV. Match The Following:
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1 Helicopters||(i) fuel efficient|
|2 Compressed Natural Gas||(ii) Sher Shah Suri Marg|
|3 Water transport||(iii) environment friendly|
|4 Mumbai Monorail||(iv) used for surveys|
|5 National Highway No.l||(v) great tourist attraction|
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1 Helicopters||(iv) used for surveys|
|2 Compressed Natural Gas||(iii) environment friendly|
|3 Water transport||(i) fuel efficient|
|4 Mumbai Monorail||(v) great tourist attraction|
|5 National Highway No.l||(ii) Sher Shah Suri Marg|
V. Name The Following:
The main road network in the country linking all states …………….
2 The roads that connect state capital with different districts within the state …………..
3 The two types of waterways ……………
4 The fastest and most comfortable but costly mode of transport ……………..
1. National Highways
2 State Highways
3 Inland and Overseas
4 Air Transport
VI. Jumbled Words:
2. esaovres …………….
3. ntrsaprot ……………
4. rneewalbe …………….
5 ghhiwysa ……………..
6. aordwyas …………….
7. ilandn …………….
8. afstset …………….
VII. Cross The Odd One:
1 pipelines; water; inland; overseas
2 train; canal; monorail; metro
3 oil; coal; natural gas; slurry
4 travel; mountains; deserts; forests
5 cycle; rickshaw; bullock cart; car
VIII. Short Answer Type Questions
Highlight three features of roadways.
What are the advantages of roadways?
- Roads play an important role in national unity, social and economic development of India.
- They support others means of transport like railways, waterways, airways, etc.
- They supply goods and services to those areas where they are required.
“Railways are equipped with modem amenities and comfort.” Support the statement with two examples.
- Now most railways stations provide facilities like restaurants, resting rooms and telephone services.
- Indian railways also provide computer-ised reservations, container services, etc.
What is the significance of border roads?
The border roads are constructed and maintained along the borders of India. They are important for the defence of our country and the movement of army.
Mention three merits of waterways. Waterways are the oldest means of transport.
Three merits of waterways are –
- They are cheaper as compared to other means of transport.
- They are most suitable for carrying heavy and bulky goods.
- Water transport is a fuel-efficient and environment-friendly mode of transport.
Why do we need a good water transport system?
We need a good water transport system to safeguard our long coastline and the island groups in the Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal.
What different purposes are helicopters used for?
- Helicopters are used for surveys, media reporting and emergency services.
- They arc useful for transporting the injured to hospital and providing relief to the victims of earthquakes, landslides, floods, cyclones, etc.
Mention three ways to control vehicular pollution.
- We must use CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) as fuel because it is environmentally friendly.
- The vehicles should be serviced and pollution checked at regular intervals.
- We must use public transport system to control vehicular pollution.
IX. Long Answer Type Questions
What do you know about Air Transport?
Air transport is the most fastest and comfortable means of transport. The prime advantage of this mode is that it can cover difficult landforms like mountains, deserts, forests and other waterbodies very easily. The aeroplane can carry a number of passengers and a bulk of cargo over great distances in a few hours.
What in brief about fossil fuels?
Fossil fuels are obtained from the decomposed remains of plants and animals, which are buried deep into the earth’s crust millions of years ago. These fossil fuels are found in the form of oil, coal and natural gas. It is essential to conserve the use of fossil fuels, otherwise, they will disappear from Earth.
DAV Class 5 SST Chapter 11 Notes – Transport in Modem Times
- A well-developed transport system helps us in a variety of ways. Without it our movement is not possible. The distribution of goods and services to the local, national and international markets would also not be possible in the absence of transport.
- The development in science and technology has made great advancements in the transport system. Now we have electric engines in place of steam engines.
Land transport includes roadways, railways and pipelines. Water transport is of two types-inland and overseas. Air transport includes domestic and international transport.
- Roads stretch across the length and breadth of our country and help in the movement of people and goods. Roads in India are of different types-national highways, state highways, district roads, village roads and border roads.
- Roads play an important role in national unity, social and economic development in India. They also support other means of transport like railways, waterways, airways, etc.
- Today, Indian Railways connects each and every part of the country. They have brought people from different regions into close contact. In recent times metros have emerged as the most comfortable and clean mode of transport in cities.
- Pipelines are used for supplying water, transporting crude oil, petroleum products
and natural gas from oil and natural gas fields to refineries, fertiliser factories, etc.
- India has a wide network of inland waterways in the form of rivers, canals and backwaters. Overseas waterways are mainly used overseas and oceans for trade and tourism.
- Air travel is the fastest and most comfortable but costly mode of transport. It can cover difficult landforms without any problem. In the beginning, the aircraft were small and could fly over small distances only. But now an aeroplane can carry hundreds of passengers and tonnes of cargo over great distances.
- Most vehicles run on petrol or diesel. Hence, we need to control their use. It is better to use CNG as fuel because it is environmentally friendly. Use of public transport should be used to control vehicular pollution.
- Transport: The system for carrying people or goods from one place to another using vehicles, roads, etc.
- National Highway: Network of roads in the country that link all states of India.
- Monorail: A railway/ railroad system in which trains travel along a track consisting of a single rail, usually one placed high above the ground.
- Metro: An underground train system.
- Overseas: Connected with foreign countries, especially those separated from your country by the sea or ocean.
- Fossil fuel: Fuel such as coal or oil, that was formed over millions of years from the remains of animals or plants.