These We and Our World Class 4 DAV Solutions and DAV Class 4 SST Chapter 8 Question Answer – Leisure Time are thoughtfully prepared by experienced teachers.
DAV Class 4 SST Chapter 8 Question Answer – Leisure Time
DAV Class 4 SST Ch 8 Question Answer – Leisure Time
Something To Know
A. Tick (✓) the correct option:
Outdoor activities supply oxygen to our –
India’s national game is –
(b) Ice hockey
Indoor games are popular in areas where space is –
Eden Garden is in –
B. Fill in the blanks:
Help Box –
children, reading, fit, ancient, Wimbledon
1. Sports and games help to keep us ……………..
2. Many indoor games help the elders and the ……………… to bond in a fun-filled way.
3. Sports were popular even in …………….. times.
4. Many people spend their leisure time by ……………… books.
5. ……………… is famous for organizing tennis matches.
C. Match the following:
|1. Indoor game||(a) Football|
|2. Ancient activity||(b) Table Tennis|
|3. Outdoor game||(c) Hunting|
|4. National Game||(d) Cricket|
|5. Eden Garden||(e) Hockey|
|1. Indoor game||(b) Table Tennis|
|2. Ancient activity||(c) Hunting|
|3. Outdoor game||(a) Football|
|4. National Game||(e) Hockey|
|5. Eden Garden||(d) Cricket|
D. Answer the following questions:
Mention the names of any three traditional games of India.
Archery, boxing and swimming are the traditional games of India.
Write down three advantages of playing games and sports.
Playing games and sports is advanta-geous in the following ways:
- It refreshes our body and mind.
- It helps us to keep fit and enjoy ourselves.
- It develops the qualities of team spirit, cooperation, tolerance and leadership.
Mention three leisure time activities that you enjoy, besides sports and games.
Besides sports and games, I enjoy the following leisure time activities –
- Reading story books
What are the two main factors on which your choice of a game depends upon?
The two main factors on which the choice of a game depends upon are –
- Personal interest
- Convenience and capacity
How are outdoor games better than indoor games?
Outdoor games are better than indoor games in the following ways:
- Most outdoor games involve a large number of people, and hence, develop the qualities of team spirit, cooperation, tolerance and leadership.
- The outdoor sporting activities have a greater mass appeal as compared to indoor ones.
- By playing outdoor games one can enjoy freedom from enclosed space, stale air and cocooned environment.
In which two ways leisure time activities bring family members and friends close?
- When cricket is played, thousands of people come to the stadium with their family members and friends to watch it.
- Many indoor games help the elders and the children to play together and bond in a fun filled way as well as compete with opponents.
Gandhiji used to say “Ends do not justify the means”. This quotation holds true in the sports/games grounds also. Which five rules are compulsory to play in the spirit of sportsmanship?
The following five rules are compulsory to play in the spirit of sportsmanship:
- Regularity of habits
- Team spirit
Describe an incident where someone acted against the spirit of game. What lesson did you learn from it?
On a political map of India, mark the states that the following sportspersons belong to. Also fill in the names of states in blank spaces:
1. Mary Kom
2. Sania Mirza
3. Virat Kohli .
4. Mahendra Singh Dhoni
5. Milkha Singh
6. Jaspal Rana
7. Abhinav Bindra
8. Jeje Lalpekula
9. RT. Usha
10. Dola Banerjee
1. Mary Kom – Mizoram
2. Sania Mirza – Telangana
3. Virat Kohli – Delhi
4. Mahendra Singh Dhoni – Jharkhand
5. Milkha Singh -Punjab
6. Jaspal Rana – Uttarakhand
7. Abhinav Bindra-Haryana
8. Jeje Lalpekula – Mizoram
9. P.T. Usha – Kerala
10. Dola Banerjee – West Bengal
Something To Do
Which is the best game/sport in your opinion? Give two reasons in support of your answer.
In my opinion, kabaddi is the best game because –
- It is good for physical fitness.
- It does not require any expensive equipment.
- In can be played anywhere.
Find out the names of any five games that children play both in rural and urban India.
Do you play with only girls, or boys, or both? Give two reasons in support of your answer.
Being a boy, most of the time I play with only boys because we like cricket which girls do not.
Identify the following sports personalities.
- Baichung Bhutia
- Leander Paes
- Vijendra Singh
- Virendra Sehwag
DAV Class 4 Social Studies Chapter 8 Question Answer – Leisure Time
I. Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
A. Tick (✓) the correct option:
People in ancient time enjoyed –
(a) chariot racing
(b) ball games
Games, like badminton, volleyball and basketball, can be played-
Which game is famous as mind game?
Kite flying is a popular activity on
(a) Raksha Bandhan
(b) Republic Day
(a) Raksha Bandhan
II. Fill in the Blanks
1. ………………. give us information about people, events, places, etc.
2. Sports and games can be played indoors or ……………….
3. Chess is played on a board of ……………… squares.
4. Most ……………… games involve large number of people.
5. ……………… is an ancient game played in the rural area.
1. We exhaust our body by playing games/sports.
2. Sports were not popular in ancient times.
3. People enjoy tennis match at Wimbledon.
4. Girls/women today are enjoying all kinds of games.
5. We can go against the spirit of game.
IV. Match The Following:
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Pranayama||(i) requires skill and strategy|
|2. Asanas||(ii) breathing techniques|
|3. Kite flying||(iii) remain unaffected by seasonal changes|
|4. Indoor games||(iv) require special equipment and a hall|
|5. Table tennis||(v) body postures squash|
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Pranayama||(ii) breathing techniques|
|2. Asanas||(v) body postures squash|
|3. Kite flying||(i) requires skill and strategy|
|4. Indoor games||(iii) remain unaffected by seasonal changes|
|5. Table tennis||(iv) require special equipment and a hall|
V. Name The Following
1. The national game of India
2. The game can be played anywhere.
3. The most popular game in India
4. A wonderful hobby.
5. The place where the trainers guide the people in fitness and strength building.
4. Reading books
VI. Jumbled Words
1. ttoprye ………………..
2. lseuire ………………..
3. dengaring ………………..
4. ckhoey ………………..
5. Ivolyeball ………………..
6. llbiaird ………………..
7. eadlreship ………………..
8. rerfehs ………………..
VII. Cross The Odd One
1. ludo; cricket; football; hockey
2. cooperation; tolerance; leadership; popularity
3. zoo; circus; children; park
4. badminton; volleyball; cricket; basketball
VIII. Short Answer Type Questions
What were the favorite leisure time activities in olden times?
The favorite leisure time activities in olden times were ball games, chariot racing, playing with marbles, or painting the walls of their caves. People also enjoyed hunting, swimming, boating, boxing, horse riding, etc.
How can you say that cricket is the most popular game in India?
- Indians enjoy all formats of the game, whether test or one day match or twenty-twenty.
- Cricket is played, watched in stadiums or even on television by thousands of people.
IX. Long Answer Type Questions
Name some popular indoor games. Mention the advantages of indoor games.
Some popular indoor games are –
chess, ludo, carrom, marbles, monopoly, scrabble, Chinese checkers, boxing, etc. Indoor games have many advantages:
- They can be played throughout the year as seasonal changes do not affect them.
- They are very popular where the space is limited, the weather is unreliable or the area is polluted.
- Many indoor games help the elders and the children to play together and bond in a fun-filled way as well as compete with opponents.
Mention three features of kabaddi and kho-kho.
- Both games have been popular in India since olden times, especially in rural areas.
- They are very good for physical fitness, quickness of movement, mental alertness, and team spirit.
- They do not require any expensive equipment and can be played anywhere.
DAV Class 4 SST Chapter 8 Notes – Leisure Time
- We need leisure time to relax and refresh our body and mind after a day’s work. Each person enjoys different leisure time activities such as sports, games, music, gardening, etc.
- People in ancient times enjoyed various leisure activities such as games, chariot racing, hunting, boating, etc.
- Sports and games can be played indoors or outdoors. Both have different advantages but the purpose is the same.
- Some popular indoor games are chess, ludo, carrom, marbles, Chinese checkers, boxing, karate, etc. These games can be played throughout the year.
- Some popular outdoor games are cricket, hockey, football, kabaddi, kho-kho, etc. These sporting activities develop the qualities of team spirit, cooperation, tolerance and leadership.
- Games like badminton, volleyball and basketball can be played indoors as well as outdoors.
- Many people enjoy cycling, skating, walking or jogging in parks. Yoga classes also attract many people. Some people also enjoy exercising in open spaces.
- Both boys and girls have equal opportunities to participate at National games, Asian games, Commonwealth games, Olympics, etc.
- Most people enjoy watching cricket matches with great enthusiasm.
- Children enjoy visiting a zoo, circus or water park. They also enjoy kite-flying.
- Leisure: Time that is spent doing what one enjoys when you are not working or studying.
- Indoor games: Games which are played inside the house.
- Outdoor games: Games which are played outside the house.
- Pranayam: Breathing techniques.
- Asanas: Body postures.