These DAV Class 4 SST Book Solutions and DAV Class 4 SST Chapter 11 Question Answer – Let Us Travel thoughtfully prepared by experienced teachers.
DAV Class 4 SST Chapter 11 Question Answer – Let Us Travel
DAV Class 4 SST Ch 11 Question Answer – Let Us Travel
Something To Know
A. Tick (✓) the correct option:
If we want to reach a far off place very quickly, best choice will be –
A camel cart is loaded with sacks of
(a) Red chillies
(b) Green chillies
(a) Red chillies
The most popular means of transport o’n the hills is –
Increased traffic on roads lead to –
B. Fill in the blanks:
railways, boats, bullock, transport, tassels
1. In coastal areas, fisherman use ……………… to transport fish.
2. Camels are beautifully decked up with ……………… and bells.
3. People use different means of ……………… for travelling over different distances.
4. ……………….. is called a farmer’s friend.
5. ……………….. are suitable for carrying larger quantity of goods.
C. Match the following:
|1. Elephant||(a) Perishable item|
|2. Fruits||(b) Assam|
|3. Ships||(c) Cold storage|
|4. Trucks and trailers||(d) Oil drilling equipment|
|5. Ferries||(e) Big cities|
|1. Elephant||(b) Assam|
|2. Fruits||(a) Perishable item|
|3. Ships||(d) Oil drilling equipment|
|4. Trucks and trailers||(e) Big cities|
|5. Ferries||(c) Cold storage|
D. Answer the following questions in brief:
Name two factors that help us to decide the selection of mode of transport.
What are the main means of transport that run on rural roads? Why are they used by the farmers?
Bullock-cart, tractor-trolley and trucks are the main means of transport that run on rural roads. They are used by farmers to carry agricultural goods from villages to cities.
Mention five items that are transported from cities to villages and from villages to cities.
- Agricultural goods like rice, wheat.
- Gas cylinders
- Light machinery
How does airways score over railways and roadways?
Airways provide fastest means of transport. If we want to reach a far-off place very quickly, air travel is the best choice.
What advantages does India have in water transportation with a long coastline?
Water transportation becomes easy with a long coastline. It is also cheaper than other modes of transport.
E. Answer the following questions:
Mention the negative impact of expanding role of means of transport.
- Traffic jam has become a common feature.
- Due to traffic jams, delivery of goods is not done on time.
- There is always a chance of accidents.
- Increased traffic on roads has raised the pollution level. Air quality is deteriorating day by day. Noise pollution is also on increase.
Suggest three ways to reduce vehicular pollution in cities.
Three ways to reduce vehicular pollution in cities are:
- The quality of roads should be improved.
- Airways provide fastest means of transport. If we want to reach a far off place very quickly, air travel will be the best choice.
- Waterways are the cheapest means of transport. They are most suitable for transporting very heavy items like oil drilling equipments, machinery for printing, etc. from one country to another.
Man’s love for the animals is centuries old, but some people treat them with cruelty. List the steps you can take if you see someone ill-treating an animal?
- I will try to convince that person that animals too deserve good treatment
- I will ask him/her if he wants to keep that animal any further or if he has got tired of it. If he shows inclination to keep the animal with himself, I will tell him to behave properly with it.
- If he has got tired of the animal, I will suggest him to sell it.
On a political map of India, locate, mark and colour the following –
1. A coastal area (e.g. Cochin)
2. A hilly region (e.g. Assam)
3. Gurgaon (Haryana)
4. Ahmedabad (Gujarat)
5. Meerut (U.P.)
6. Bikaner (Rajasthan)
Find out the symbols used for marking railways and airways on a map. Trace the air-route and rail-route from your state to any place you want to visit.
Something To Do
Prepare a chronological album showing all the stages of development of means of transport from early man to the modem man.
Discuss with your grandparents, parents and teachers about the changes that have come in rural transport in the last two decades. Write a short paragraph about how the mral-urban divide is disappearing.
First part of the question is for discussion. Here is a paragraph about how the rural-urban divide is disappearing –
Fruits and vegetables grown in villages are transported on daily basis to nearby cities and towns in bullock carts, tractor-trolleys or trucks. After harvesting of wheat and rice, trucks laden with gunny bags, make their way on the rural roads to the nearby towns or cities.
The bullock carts, tractor-trolleys or trucks loaded with agricultural goods go from villages to cities. When they go back to the villages from cities, they are laden with gas cylinders, light machinery, textiles, scooters, etc. All of them are made in factories in towns and cities. These instances make it clear that the rural-urban divide is disappearing very fast.
The jawans ride the beautifully decorated camels and horses during the Republic Day Parade. (See T.B. page 96)
List five special occasions when people ride animals.
(a) Wedding ceremony
(c) Visit to Vaishno Devi Temple
(d) Joy ride on horse
(e) Polo sports
DAV Class 4 Social Studies Chapter 11 Question Answer – Let Us Travel
I. Multiple Choice Questions (Mcqs)
Tick (✓) the correct option:
It gives a better chance to view the scenery –
Fishermen live around the –
(a) hilly areas
(b) coastal areas
(b) coastal areas
The animal addressed as his ‘son’ by its owner is
Very heavy items are transported by
The full form of CNG is
(a) Common Natural Gas
(b) Compressed Natural Gas
(c) Compressed National Gas
(b) Compressed Natural Gas
II. Fill In The Blanks
1. A coastal area is a place where the land meets the …………….
2. Pipeline transportation has become popular in transporting oil and ………………
3. Road transport provides ……………… service.
4. Means of transport form a …………….. between rural and urban areas.
5. Goods are carried by different means of ……………..
1. Fish is usually transported by trains.
2. Trucks and trailers are used to carry heavy machines.
3. Traffic jams do not affect the quality of air.
4. Vehicular pollution can be averted if better quality of petrol and diesel is used.
IV. Match The Following
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Roadways||(i) economical|
|2. Railways||(ii) expensive|
|3. Airways||(iii) cheaper than other modes of transport|
|4. Waterways||(iv) best choice for travelling over short distances|
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Roadways||(iv) best choice for travelling over short distances|
|2. Railways||(i) economical|
|3. Airways||(ii) expensive|
|4. Waterways||(iii) cheaper than other modes of transport|
V. Name The Following
1. The place where lands meet the sea.
2. The cheaper mode of transport.
3. The main occupation in most of the rural areas.
4. The most popular means of transport on the hills.
1. Coastal area
VI. Jumbled Words
1. llbucko ………………
2. temaser ………………
3. aitrlre ………………
4. turck ………………
5. lfyorves ………………
6. fftraci ………………
7. arwaiys ………………
VII. Cross The Odd One
1. car; bus; cycle; train ………………
2. son; cow; camel; dog ………………
3. bullock; camel; sack; mule ………………
4. roadways; waterways; sideways; airways ………………
VIII. Short Answer Type Questions
Mention different means of transport.
Different means of transport are:
- Airways – aeroplane, helicopter
- Railways – train
- Roadways – bus, car, truck, cycle, taxi, etc.
- Waterways – boat, steamer, ferry, ship, etc.
List the goods that are commonly transported by ships.
The goods that are commonly transported by ship are oil drilling equipment, machinery for printing, textile and other manufacturing industries.
How are goods transported in the hilly areas?
Goods in the hilly areas are transported by mules. There are thus or coolies to help these mules.
IX. Long Answer Type Questions
What is the role of animals in rural transportation?
Animals play an important role in rural transportation.
- A bullock cart or a horse cart can go up to the farm.
- Bullock has been a farmer’s friend since olden times. The farmer has used it to pull water from the well, plough the fields and transport the goods to the market.
- The camel carts are a common sight on the roads of Bikaner and other places of Rajasthan.
DAV Class 4 SST Chapter 1 Notes – Let Us Travel
- There are different means of transport which people use for travelling. The selection depends upon the time and the money they want to spend on travel.
- The means of transport include roadways, railways, airways and waterways. Railways are ideal for transporting heavy goods and are economical.
- Airways provide the fastest mode of transport but they are expensive. Roadways are best for travelling short distances.
- The means of transport used in rural India differ from those used in urban areas. Bullock carts, tractor-trolleys and trucks are the favourite means of transport in the Indian villages.
- In coastal areas, boats, steamers and ferries are used for various purposes. On hilly areas, mules are used for transporting goods along withpithus (coolies).
- In urban areas of India we see people using a variety of means of transport, such as—cars, buses, metro trains, trucks, trailers, auto-rickshaws, etc.
- Ships are used for transporting very heavy items, like oil drilling equipments, etc. Transportation by ships is cheaper than other modes of transport.
- Pipeline transportation has become popular in transporting oil and gas.
- The various means of transport used in rural and urban India have many advantages but their usage has increased the traffic on roads at a very fast rate.
- The traffic jams, delay in delivering of goods, accidents and pollution are the negative effects of the expanding role of means of transport in modem times. Efforts are being made to improve the situation.
- Perishable items: Things that rot quickly.
- Coastal area: The place where the land meets the sea.
- Cargo ship: The ship carrying goods.
- Flyover: A bridge built over roads to ease the movement of traffic.
- Bypass: A road that passes around a town or city rather than through the centre.