These DAV Class 4 SST Book Solutions and DAV Class 4 SST Chapter 10 Question Answer – Travel and Tours are thoughtfully prepared by experienced teachers.
DAV Class 4 SST Chapter 10 Question Answer – Travel and Tours
DAV Class 4 SST Ch 10 Question Answer – Travel and Tours
Something To Know
A. Tick (✓) the correct option:
is known as God’s own country.
A travel package does not include –
The highest mountain peak of South India is –
(a) Anai Mudi
(a) Anai Mudi
Kerala is well-known for –
Trekking is popular in –
B. Fill in the blanks:
water, plastic, brochures, Kerala, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir
1. Vikas’s mother and sister studied the ………………..
2. Skiing is popular in ………………. and ……………..
3. Periyar Tiger Reserve is in ……………….
4. Credit cards are known as ………………. money.
5. Adventure tourism involves ……………….. rafting.
2. Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir
C. Match the following:
|1. Backwaters||(a) Dance form|
|2. Tiger||(b) Houseboats|
|3. Vaishno Devi||(c) Adventure tourism|
|4. Skiing||(d) Endangered species|
|5. Kathakali||(e) Pilgrimage tourism|
|1. Backwaters||(b) Houseboats|
|2. Tiger||(d) Endangered species|
|3. Vaishno Devi||(e) Pilgrimage tourism|
|4. Skiing||(c) Adventure tourism|
|5. Kathakali||(a) Dance form|
D. Answer the following questions:
Describe Marwah family’s trip to the God’s own country.
Kerala is known as the God’s own country. It is a popular tourist destination. The Marwah’s family decided to visit this place. Mr. Marwah paid the travel agent by cheque for their air tickets, booking at the resort, sightseeing and meals. The Marwah’s family took a flight from Kamraj terminal of Chennai airport and reached Cochin airport from where a taxi took them to the resort at Munnar.
They stayed there for three days and visited places like Mattupetty Dam, Echo Point, vast tea plantations, tea museum, Nilgiri Reserve, Anai Mudi, etc. On the fourth day, they visited the famous Periyar Tiger Reserve. Then the family came back to Cochin. They went for a house boat cruise to enjoy the backwaters of Kerala. They also enjoyed the spicy food of Kerala.
How is Adventure tourism different from Pilgrimage tourism?
Adventure tourism includes exploration of remote areas and adventurous activities like trekking, skiing, water rafting. Pilgrimage tourism, on the other hand, includes visits to religious places such as temples, churches, mosques, gurudwaras, etc.
How does a ‘travel package’ make a journey stress-free?
If one wants a journey to a tourist place stress-free, a ‘travel package’ plays an important role in it. Now it is the responsibility of the travel agent to make arrangements for everything-air/train fare, boarding, lodging, sight seeing, hotel bookings, meals, etc. Thus, the tourist/tourists can enjoy the beauty of their cherished destination without being tense for anything.
Briefly highlight wildlife tourism in India. Which animals do you want to see?
India has a rich forest cover that shelters a large variety of wildlife such as the Ganges shark, blue whale, snow leopard, Asiatic lion, royal Bengal tiger, etc. Some of them are endangered and need to be protected. I want to see animals like blue whales, snow leopard and royal Bengal tiger.
Which type of tourism do you like the most? Give two reasons in support of your answer.
I like adventure tourism the most. Two reasons:
- I am adventurous by nature.
- I want to enjoy adventurous activities like trekking and water rafting.
India has always been a popular destination for the tourists. Which values are necessary to make the foreign and Indian tourists feel safe and welcomed?
People should exhibit the spirit ofAtithi Devo Bhava. Cleanliness should be maintained at the tourist sites. There should be better policing to control the crime rate. People should also exhibit hospitality
On a political map of India, locate, mark and colour the following:
4. Arunachal Pradesh
8. Jammu & Kashmir
9. Himachal Pradesh
Something To Do
List the different means of transport that are used by the tourists. Which one is your favourite and why?
Airways is my favourite because I want to fly like a bird.
Interview your grandparents and find out how things have changed since they were your age in the following areas:
Plan a journey to a tourist destination of your state:
(a) Place of interest that you want to visit.
(b) Cost of railway, air and bus tickets.
At least t 2000.
(c) Type and rate of accommodation available.
Single room at a moderate rate.
(d) Famous handicrafts available.
Carpets and rugs.
(e) Language, food habits of people.
Language: Hindi, Kashmiri; food habits: Ghaunda, Poldu.
(f) Dresses and occupations of the people.
(g) Best time to visit.
From March to mid-June.
An ordinary clock shows twelve hours. Why do railways and airways use 24-hour clock?
Railways and airways use 24-hour clock because if it is 12 hours clock (AM & PM) basis then sometime users forget to see AM and PM next to time and also sometime users get confused between 12 AM and 12 PM.
Find out the names of few endangered species of animals. Try to create awareness among the people in your neighbourhood about wildlife conservation. You can make flash cards, banners, etc. for the same.
Names of few endangered species of animals-tiger, blue whale, etc.
Visit a museum to see old coins.
Students must visit the museums to see the old coins.
Draw the items that were exchanged during the Barter System period.
DAV Class 4 Social Studies Chapter 10 Question Answer – Travel and Tours
I. Multiple Choice Questions (Mcqs)
A. Tick (✓) the correct option:
The Marwah family decided to visit
(c) Himachal Pradesh
Water rafting is popular in
Malavath Pooma is a/an
(b) social activist
Golden Temple is in
II. Fill In The Blanks
1. India has become a popular destination for ………………. tourism.
2. Periyar Tiger Reserve is in ……………..
3. ………………… is a popular tourist destination for traditional Ayurvedic treatment.
4. The Marwah family also enjoyed the …………….. food of Kerala.
5. The backwaters of Kerala are connected by a network of ………………….
5 . canals
1. Many foreigners come India for medical treatment.
2. Himachal Pradesh is a popular destination for wildlife tourism.
3. It is important to make bookings in advance for a comfortable travel.
4. There are tea gardens around Munnar.
IV. Match the Following
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Vaishno Devi||(i) gurudwara|
|2. Golden Temple||(ii) temple|
|3. Ajmer Sharif||(iii) adventurous activity|
|4. Trekking||(iv) mosque|
|Column ‘A’||Column ‘B’|
|1. Vaishno Devi||(ii) temple|
|2. Golden Temple||(i) gurudwara|
|3. Ajmer Sharif||(iv) mosque|
|4. Trekking||(iii) adventurous activity|
V. Name the Following
1. A pamphlet or leaflet that is used to give information about some place ………………
2. The tourism that has become a popular destination for treatment of patients in India ………………
3. The animals that are on the verge of extinction ………………
4. The payment made in cash, cheque or credit card ………………
3. Endangered animals
4. Plastic Money
VI. Jumbled Words
1. licopheter ……………
2. triousm ……………
3. xeticnt ……………
4. spltiac ……………
5. ckbwaatres ……………
6. umonmnets ……………
7. dmeicla ……………
8. eoplard ……………
VII. Cross The Odd One
1. Kerala; Munnar; Kathakali; Cochin
2. trekking; skiing; wildlife; rafting
3. tiger; leopard; plastic; lion
4. currency; temple; church; mosque
VIII. Short Answer Type Questions
Which places did the Marwah family visit from the resort at Munnar?
From the resort at Munnar the Marwah family visited many places like Mattupetty Dam, Echo Point, vast tea plantations, tea museum, Nilgiri Reserve and Anai Mudi which is the highest peak of south India. The family enjoyed the sight of numerous waterfalls. They also enjoyed massages at an Ayurvedic centre.
What do you know about the backwaters of Kerala?
The backwaters of Kerala attract tourists in India and abroad equally. They are inland lakes that are formed by the to and fro movement of sea water at beaches. They are connected by a network of canals. Thousands of tourists visit Kerala to enjoy its back waters.
Differentiate between endangered animals and extinct animals.
Endangered animals are facing threat and are on the verge of extinction. Hence, they need to be protected. Blue whale, snow leopard, tiger are some of the endangered animals. Extinct animals are those which have disappeared from the face of the earth. Dinosaur is an extinct animal.
IX. Long Answer Type Questions
Give a brief description of adventure tourism in India.
- Adventure tourism includes exploration of remote areas and adventurous activities. Given below are some adventurous activities which people like to enjoy.
- Trekking: It is a long difficult journey made especially on foot in mountains for enjoyment. It is popular in places like Ladakh, Sikkim or Himalayas.
- Skiing: It is the activity of moving over snow on skis (a pair of long narrow pieces of wood, metal or plastic that you attach to boots so that you can move smoothly over now). It is popular in Himachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir.
- Water rafting: It is the activity of travelling down a river on a raft (a flat structure made of pieces of wood tied together and used as a boat or floating platform). It is popular in Uttrakhand, Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
What steps should be taken to improve tourism in India?
The following steps should be taken to improve tourism in India:
- People should exhibit the spirit ofAtithi Devo Bhava.
- Better transport facilities.
- Improved infrastructure which includes better roads, hotels, restaurants.
- Better policing to control the crime rate.
- Cleanliness everywhere especially at the tourist sites.
- Disfigurement of monuments should be banned. There should be tourist assistance centres.
DAV Class 4 SST Chapter 1 Notes – Travel and Tours
- India has always been a popular tourist destination for domestic and foreign tourists. Different tourists take interest in different types of tourism in India.
- Different types of tourism in India are-adventure tourism, wildlife tourism and pilgrimage tourism.
- Adventure tourism includes trekking, skiing and water rafting. Wildlife tourism is associated with the rich forests of India and the animals who live there. Pilgrimage tourism is associated with the temples, mosques, churches, gurudwaras, monasteries, etc. located in India.
- Medical tourism has become famous in recent times. Many foreigners come to India for medical treatment.
- Tourism in India needs to be improved. There should be better transport facilities, improved infrastructure, better policing to control the crime rate etc.
- Brochure: A flyer, pamphlet or leaflet that is used to give information about some place.
- Backwaters: Inland lakes that are formed by the to and fro movement of sea water at beaches.
- Endangered animals: Animals that are on the verge of extinction.
- Extinct animals: Animals that have disappeared from the face of earth.
- Plastic money: The payment made in cash, cheque or by credit card.