Tamilnadu State Board Class 10 English Vocabulary Singular & Plural Forms
Singular & Plural Forms (Text Book Page No.: 35)
I. Simple rules for plurals
a) add ‘-s’
words ending in consonants
boy – boys
desk – desks
book – books
cow – cows
b) add ‘-es’
words ending in
-s. -sh. -ch. -x
class – classes
brush – brushes
tax – taxes
dish – dishes
c) add ‘-es’
words ending in vowels
buffalo – buffaloes
negro – negroes
hero – heroes
echo – echoes
d) add ‘-s’
words ending in
vowels – exceptions
dynamo – dynamos
piano – pianos
kilo – kilos
ratio – ratios
e) Change ‘y’ into ‘ies’
baby – babies
army – armies
city – cities
story – stories
f) Change of inside vowel
man – men
woman – women
mouse – mice
goose – geese
tooth – teeth
II. Other Plurals:
1. No Change:
apparatus / apparatuses chassis, poultry, cattle headquarters, people, shorts aircraft, trousers,eans
2. sis – ses, xis – xes
analysis – analyses
basis – bases;
crisis – crises
diagnosis – diagnoses;
thesis – theses
synopsis – synopses
hypothesis – hypotheses
axis – axes
3. us – i
fungus – fungi
stimules – stimuli
radius – radii
alumnus – alumni
cactus – cacti / cactuses
terminus – termini / terminuses
syllabus – syllabi
4. on – a
criterion – criteria
phenomenon – phenomena
memorandum – memoranda
5. lum – la, turn -ta
curriculum – curricula;
erratum – errata
6. us – ora, era
corpus – corpora;
genus – genera
7. eau – eaux
beau – beaux;
bureau – bureaux / bureaus
8. la – lae, bra – brae
formula – formulae
vertebra – vertebrae
9. ex – ices / exes
apex – apices / apexes
index – indices / indexes
10. ix- ices / ixes
appendix – appendices / appendixes
11. cus – ci
focus – foci / focuses
12. Nouns take ‘s’
man servant: men servants
13. chief – chiefs
gulf – gulfs
proof – proofs
handkerchief – handkerchiefs
14. dwarf – dwarfs, dwarves
hoof – hoofs, hooves
scarf – scarfs, scarves
15. ox – oxen
child – children
Singular Form Exercises
What is the singular form of the word ……………………….
1. What is the singular form of the word days?
(a) day (b) dae (c) doy
2. What is the singular form of the word data
(a) date (b) datum (c) datae
3. What is the singular form of the word taxis?
(a) taxie (b) taxies (c) taxi
4. What is the singular form of the word ladies?
(a) lady (b) ladices (c) ladys
5. What is the singular form of the word oxen?
(a) axe (b) oxe (c) ox
6. What is the singular form of the word choices?
(a) choice (b) choices (c) choiceies
7. What is the singular form of the word boxes?
(a) boxs (b) boxies (c) box
8. What is the singular form of the word thieves?
(a) thiefies (b) thieve (c) thief
9. What is the singular form of the word armies?
(a) armie (b) army (c) armices
10. What is the singular form of the word owls?
(a) owl (b) owlies (c) owelds
Plural Form Exercises
What is the plural form of the word …………………………..
1. What ¡s the plural form of the word qiarium?
(a) aquariums (b) aquari (c) aquaria
2. What is the plural form of the word memorandum?
() memorundam (b) memoranda (c) memorandums
3. What is the plural form of the word stratum?
(a) stratas (b) stratii (c) strata
4. What is the plural form of the word deer?
(a) deer (b) deers (c) deeres
5. What ¡s the plural form of the word erratum?
(a) errates (b) errata (c) errati
6. What is the plural form of thief?
(a) thiefs (b) thiefes (c) thieves
7. What is the plural form of the word alumnus?
(a) alumna (b) alumni (c) alum
8. What is the plural form of the words man servant?
(a) man servants (b) men servant (c) men servants
(c) men servants
9. Which is the plural form of the word index?
(a) indices (b) indexs (c) indice
10. What is the plural form of the word criterion?
(a) criterions (b) criteriae (c) criteria
11. What is the plural form of the word crisis?
(a) crisae (b) crises (c) crise
12. What is the plural form of the word focus?
(a) focuses (b) focae (c) foci
13. What is the plural form of the word medium?
(a) mediums (b) media (c) mediae
14. What is the plural form of the word fungus?
(a) fungi (b) fungae (c) funguss
15. What is the plural form of the word locus?
(a) locuses (b) bd (c) locae
16. What is the plural for son-in-law?
(a) son-in-laws (b) sons-in-law (c) sons-in-laws
17. What is the plural for species?
(a) specie (b) specy (c) species
18. What is the plural for piece of furniture?
(a) pieces of furniture (b) pieces of furnitures (c) piece of furnitures
(a) pieces of furniture
19. What is the plural for buffalo?
(a) buffalos (b) buffaloes (c) baffles
20. What is the plural for goose?
(a) geese (b) gooses (c) geeses