Tamilnadu State Board Class 10 English Speech Writing
♦ Writing Speech (Text Book Page No.: 39,40,135)
How to Write a Good Speech
- Have an inspiring OPENING and ENDING.
- Appropriate(suitable)TONE of VOICE, (e.g.) sincere for a serious issue, humour for comedy etc
- Adapt speech for PURPOSE and AUDIENCE, (e.g.) teenagers, mixed audience, teachers, children etc
- Organise IDEAS logically and do not confuse the audience.
- Use EMOTIVE language to CONVINCE your audience that what you are saying should be listened to. (e.g.) Even if they put us in chains, torture us and leave us to bleed we will not move. Blood will be our victory!
- Use Rhetorical Questions – asking a question for persuasive effect without expecting are play (because the answer is obvious) Eg: Was he not a good man? (knowing that the audience agree anyway)
- Make sure you are writing in the CORRECT PERSON (e.g.) I believe that… I knew him well…
- Use interesting facts and figures (e.g.) 200000 people… with diagrams or charts to help your audience visualize it.
Public Speaking Skills
Public speaking involves communicating information before a large audience. In public speaking, the information is purposeful and meant to inform, influence or entertain a group of listeners.
A Few Starters For Welcome Address
- It is our pleasure to introduce our chief guest as the speaker for this evening. We cannot think of a person more qualified to address the audience.
- Young minds are like sponges and they are looking for the right input to soak it in. We cannot think of a person more suited to this than our guest of honour to whom we extend a warm and hearty welcome.
- Its my pride and privilege to introduce our chief guest Mr/Mrs. (or) Thiru/Thirumathi who is very well known to you because of his service to mankind in the field of education.
A Few Starters For Vote Of Thanks
- Respected Chief guest, Principal, teachers, students, ladies, and gentlemen, good evening. It is my honour and privilege to propose the vote of thanks to this august gathering. I would like to thank Principal madam for giving me this opportunity.
- Today my words are not enough to express my gratitude. On behalf of the organizing committee and our school, I would like to thank our Chief Guest for the day, Mrs./Mr./Th iru/Th irumathi, who graced the occasion with his/her presence and guidance.
- We are grateful to all the parents present here, your encouragement has helped us to organise such important events.
1. You are Anu. On women’s day, you are asked to deliver a speech on changing role of women in 21st century acknowledging their significant contribution in changing face of modern era. Your speech should not exceed the limit of 120-150 words.
Respected Principal, Teachers and My Dear Friends,
I am delighted to have this golden opportunity of expressing my views on the ROLE OF WOMEN on the eve of “WOMAN’S DAY”.
In the past, women were considered inferior to man. Today, Woman are as good as men in every aspect. They have proved their worth. Name any field of progress wherein they have not left their mark? They are known for their sincerity, sensibility, hard work and timely wit. They have never failed in using them in time of need. Women like Saina Nehwal and Shreya Ghosal have excelled in their respective task. Being woman myself, I feel tremendous power in myself and see no reason to lag behind. I am proud to be a woman. We know that modern world cannot afford to leave women as they have time and again made the world realise their strong presence.
I acknowledge the vital role the women play for the emancipation of the society and their immense contribution in shaping and creating a strong nation with their spirit of dedication, devotion and duty.
2. Some young people have little leisure time and are under a lot of pressure to work hard in their studies. What do you think are the causes of this? What solutions can you suggest? Prepare speech titled as ‘Leisure is necessary for hard work’.
Respected Principal Madam. Worthy teachers and my dear friends,
Today I would like to present my views on the topic ‘Leisure is necessary for hard work’.Some young people find themselves with very little leisure time. I believe there are two, main causes of this situation. The first is parental pressure and the second is competition in our educational system. Every parent wants to see his or her child doing well in school and go on to have a successful career. This means that they exert pressure on their children to spend hours each day studying at home. Soipe even arrange extra tuition for their children. As a consequence, their leisure time is extremely limited and the pressure on them is considerable.
The second cause is related to the higher education system. Only high graded candidates are allowed to get good streams of studying for the future. This contributes to the pressure on teenagers since they must work long hours to have any chance of success.
One solution to the problem is for parents to be made aware of the effects of the pressure they put on their children. Schools should inform parents that too much pressure can lead to anxiety Stress and depression. Sometimes out of depression they commit suicide as they have no courage to face the parents and teachers scolding. They should be shown ways in which they can help their children lead more balanced lives with a reasonable amount of leisure time. Another effective measure in order to overcome competition and suicide cases of students, is necessary to apply equal grading system to the students so that life seems to be worth full to live instead of stressful.
3. In modem life, we have to face many problems, one of which is traffic congestion becoming more serious day after day. It is said that the high volume of vehicles, the inadequate infrastructure and irrational distribution of the development are the main reasons for increasing traffic jam. Prepare a speech on traffic congestion. Write about the cause as well as the solution to it.
Good morning to one and all.
The major cause leading to traffic congestion is the rise in number of vehicles and over-population and the development of economy. To solve this problem, the government should encourage people to use public transportation or vehicles with small size such as bicycles or increase tax on private vehicles.
The inadequate infrastructure cannot handle the issue of traffic is also a crucial reason. The public transport such as a bus, the subway train is not available in many routes and their quality is ’ very bad. Besides, the highway road network is incapable of meeting the requirement of an increasing number of vehicles. Coping with these difficulties, the government should make an investment in the traffic facilities, like build overpasses and more lanes in the streets.
Apparently, the irrational distribution of development and the lack of conscience make the traffic worse and worse. The head offices, the universities or hospitals often located in the centre of city attracting a heavy flow of people in rush hour. To handle this situation, the government should make proper rules, for instance, some university or office will be moved to the outskirt of the city. It is necessary to encourage people to obey the traffic rules which will greatly change the problem of traffic. Finally, its high time we are aware of the disadvantages as well as the solutions to traffic congestion. With great effort from each individual and the government, our society will be definitely cleaner and well organized.
4. You are required to speak on ‘Pollution’ in the school morning assembly. Prepare your speech taking help from the following points. You may use ideas contained in the unit ‘Environment’. Write your answer in your answer sheet using hot more than 120 words.
Respected Principal, dear teachers and my lovely friends. Today I stand before you to speak on pollution. Environmental pollution is one of the major and serious problems that is being faced by developing countries. The ecological balance of the earth is being threatened by it. Air and water are polluted by the toxic constituents. Noise pollution has destroyed the calm and serenity of our surroundings.
The main sources of pollution are increasing vehicular traffic and garbage. The petrol or diesel being used in the vehicles emits toxic smoke which contains lethal gases like carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide. All those inhaling these gases contract deadly diseases. These are like bronchitis, asthma and other breathing problems. The accumulating garbage emits the foul smell. It is the birthplace of many contagious diseases. Various leather and chemical industries pollute both the air and the water by belching out poisonous smoke and effluents in watercourses.
The increasing feeling of trees, building of darns and upcoming of congested localities has played havoc with the dean environment. Human life is in real danger. We need to plant more trees at every possible patch of land. I understand that there is also a need of shifting industries and mills established in congested colonies to safer places. To control traffic carpools must be made so that the emission level from them is contained within prescribed levels.
Thank you all!