Tamilnadu State Board Class 10 English Message Writing
♦ Message Writing (Text Book Page No.: 140-141)
A Message is an informal means of communication. The receiver of the message has to sift through the given message and pick out the most vital bits of information.
Then, he/she should be able to reproduce that information in order to convey it to the person for whom it is intended.
- Name of person to whom the message is directed
- Body of the message
- Name of the writer
Points to remember :
- While writing the body of the message, the following points have to be kept in mind
- Only the most important details should be written.
- No new information should be added.
- Grammatically correct sentences should be used.
- Indirect or reported speech should be used.
- The message should be presented within a box.
- The word limit for a message is 50 words (only the words in the body of the notice are counted).
Riya, a student of class ten, is instructed by her teacher to convey to her classmates about the English Literary club competitions which are to be held on 09.04.2019 in a nearby Government school.
|03 April 2019
Draft a message on the following situations.
1. The following is a telephonic conversation between Venkat and his sister. As Venkat’s sister had to leave for her dance classes, she leaves a message for her mother. Write the message in not more than 50 words.
Venkat : Can I speak to mom?
Veen : She has gone out
Venkat : I have to leave for Coimbatore tomorrow at 4 a.m. forthe Inter-School Football Match. Please ask her to get my bag packed as I will be back home late in the evening after practice.
Veen : I will.
|12th April, 2019 Mom,
Venkat called up to inform that he has to leave for Coimbatore tomorrow at 4 a.m. for Inter-School Football Match. You are requested to pack his bag as he will return home late in the evening after his football practice.
2. Read the conversation between Sam and Joseph. Sam was going out and so he left a message for his father. Write the message in about 50 words.
Joseph : Can I speak to Mr. Simon?
Sam : I am sorry He is out of station.
Joseph : When is he expected back?
Sam : He will be home by tomorrow evening
Joseph : Could you please remind him that Anil’s wedding is on March 30th? We had planned to go together. But since my son is in hospital, I will not be going for the wedding. George is free and he can join him. Tell him to give me a ring when he returns.
Sam : Sure, uncle.
Joseph : Thank you, Sam.
3. Imagine you are Geetha. Read the following conversation and write a suitable message for jour mother in 50-60 words.
Anitha : Hi! I’m Anitha on the line. Is aunty at home?
Geetha : No. she has gone to visit my grandparents. Is there any problem?
Anitha : No, I just wanted to inform her that we have a special ‘Havan’ tomorrow at 9 a.m. at out Place. My mother has specially invited all of you.
Geetha : Okay. Thanks! I’ll inform her and we will definitely come.
|7th March, 2019