A report is a factual description of an issue or a problem. A report is written for a clear purpose and for a particular audience. Various forms of reports are: newspaper reports, inquiry reports, progress or action taken report, a police report, a report of a meeting, etc., each having a distinct character and format.
Basic English Grammar rules can be tricky. In this article, we’ll get you started with the basics of sentence structure, punctuation, parts of speech, and more.
We also providing Extra Questions for Class 12 English Chapter wise.
Report Writing for Class 12 Format, Examples, Topics, Samples, Types
A report is a description of an event that has already taken place. It is a factual account of some event or happening that may have occurred somewhere, but is of interest to the general masses or the readers for whom it is meant.
The way a report is written depends upon two major considerations:
- who is going to read it
- why is (s)he going to read it
♦ It may include:
- the record of a sequence of events.
- interpretation of the significance of these events or facts.
- evaluation of the facts or results of the research presented.
- discussion of the outcome of a decision or course of action.
♦ Language focus:
The language must be:
- well structured (use shorter words rather than longer, with short sentences)
- free of jargon (may include a few)
- of uniform verb tense, preferably past tense
♦ Important Points to Remember:
- A report should be practical and convey all the necessary information.
- It should be well structured with a title, run into small paragraphs, and should be factual.
- All information should be factual.
- Report should have an appropriate conclusion or recommendation.
- Word limit of 150-200 words.
Report Writing Sample Example for Class 12 CBSE
In order to raise funds for the victims of a recent earthquake, your school organized a cultural night in which the student performers of your school and those from neighborhood schools presented various colorful programs such as songs, dances, fancy-dress shows, one-act plays, etc. Salim Merchant, a top singer of India also made a guest appearance. You were also present, as a reporter, to cover the program. Write a report in 100-125 words for your paper.
Queen’s School, Secunderabad, organized a cultural show in aid of the flood-affected people of West Bengal. Complete the following newspaper report based on this activity for publication in The Gazette.
Queen’s School Comes to Aid of Tsunami Victims
Secundrabad, 24 January (a) …………………………… was organized by the students of Queen’s School in the school auditorium to aid the (b) …………………………… of West Bengal. The senior (c) …………………………… ballet titled “Gaia’ on Mother Earth. Students of the Primary Wing (d) …………………………… the birth of the Ganga. Several other skits and dances (e) …………………………… (f) …………………………… at 100/- each and the auditorium was packed to capacity. A cheque of Rs 1 lakh (g) …………………………… Sh. P.V. Rao, Hon. Education Minister, A.P. for the Flood Relief Fund. The Education Minister (h) …………………………… the quality of the show and their sense of responsibility.
(a) A cultural show
(b) flood-affected people
(c) students presented a
(d) enacted a skit on
(e) were performed
(f) The tickets were priced
(g) was presented to
(h) commended the students for
Report Writing Practice Example for Class 12 CBSE
1. 5th June has been recognised as World Environment Day. Your school conducted various activities to commemorate the day. Write a report about it in about 150-200 words for your school magazine. You are Karuna/Karan. (10 marks) [CBSE Sample Paper 2017]
World Environment Day
5 June 20XX, Cuttack – Our school, Odisha Senior Secondary School Cuttack celebrated World Environment Day from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. on the school campus. The Educational Minister of the state, Mr. Y.S. Patra, inaugurated the exhibition put up by the SST Dept and students of the middle school. There were stalls exhibiting various recycled products, waste management methods, pollution control methods and schemes, awareness through posters, PowerPoint presentations, and role-plays.
The centre stage on the playground used Preserve Our Environment as a theme for songs, dances, mimes, and one-act play saplings were generously distributed to encourage tree plantation at an individual’s level. A debate and recitation competition was held on an inter-school basis. Our school got the Runners-up Trophy while GKP Public was adjudged the Best All-Rounder. The celebration came to an end with a vote of thanks by the Headmistress, Sundarilaal Pathak, and the National Anthem was sung by all of us.
2. The Orissa Government is about to launch an eye-testing drive for schoolchildren in Bhubaneswar. Nilanjana Dalmia interviewed Aditi Mitra, the chief coordinator of the programme, and took down some notes. On the basis of the notes, write Nilanjana’s report in 100–125 words.
|Notes: cataract, refractory errors – commonest cause of blindness – lakhs of people lose vision – fully preventable; children-most vulnerable – early detection-very important; 1200 schools to be covered – one teacher from each school-trained to conduct a simple vision test.|
3. A newspaper reporter has been sent to report on a road accident. Below you can see one page of his notes. Use the information to complete the report he wrote for his newspaper in 100–125 words. Do not add any new information.
|6.35 p.m. 14/10
Kurukshetra – 30 km from Panipat
crash – truck in the ditch
local bus – high speed – middle of the road
truck braked to avoid a collision – swerved
hit tree and overturned
truck driver drunk (Mahinder Singh, 40 yrs)
3 injured – taken to hospital
4. Spring Field School recently organized a course in origami for students of senior classes. Vivek of Class XII writes a report on the program giving necessary details in the school magazine. Write the report in 100–125 words.
5. The Art and Craft Club of your school organized a special clay-modeling competition in the school. As the Secretary of the club, write a report in 100–125 words giving details of the competition. You are Deepanita of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Pondicherry.
6. You have witnessed a clash between a group of college students and a State Transport bus crew which finally ended in the students stoning the buses and the bus crew calling for a flash strike. You are Bimal/Sheenum, a reporter for a national daily. Write a report in 100-125 words about the incident.
7. You are Neeraj/Nandita working for a leading magazine. Last week you attended a seminar on ‘Pleasures of Eye Donation’, organized by the Young Buzz of your school. Write a report on this seminar is not more than 100-125 words for publication in the magazine.
8. You are Abhinav/Akanksha working as a news correspondent for the Indian News Report at Mumbai. You were invited by the organizers to cover the much-awaited programme of pop star Bryan Adams in Mumbai. Write a report on this historic event giving necessary details in not more than 100-125 words for the benefit of the fans of Bryan Adams.
9. You are Rohit/Rashi of Vivekananda Sr. Secondary School of Bangalore. Your school has recently conducted a charity show in aid of the flood-affected people of Andhra Pradesh. As Cultural Secretary of the Students’ Council of your school, write a brief report in not more than 100–125 words on this activity of the school for publication in your local daily.
10. You are Sudarshan/Seema of Rajeev Gandhi Memorial Sr. Secondary School, Allahabad. Your school has inaugurated its new computer wing, constructed with generous grants from the Rajeev Gandhi Foundation. Write a report in not more than 100–125 words for your school magazine on the programme organized by the school on this occasion.
11. You are Savant/Shobha of Lala Lajpat Rai Memorial Sr. Secondary School, Pune. Your school just celebrated its Silver Jubilee on completion of its meritorious services to the cause of education. Now write a report in not more than 100–125 words on the programmes that your school conducted on this occasion to be published in The Indian Chronicler.
12. You were a member of your school quiz team which won the CBSE Quiz Contest at the national level. Draft a report about it to be published in your school magazine in about 100–125 words. Sign as Sagar/Sagarika.
13. Your school has celebrated Library Week. As the Head Boy/Head Girl of your school, write a report on it to be published in your school newsletter.
14. You are Pankaj/Parvi. The other day you happened to attend a seminar on ‘Case for Reducing the Retirement Age in Public Sector from 60 to 55’, organized by the Rotary Club of your district. Write a report on this seminar in not more than 100–125 words for publication in a local daily.
15. You are Mukul/Mandakini working as a reporter for a leading newspaper. Yesterday you were invited to a press conference called by the Union Home Minister on the proposed changes in the Constitution of India to provide a stable government to the country. Write a report for the paper in not more than 100–125 words covering what the Home Minister proposed.
16 Write a report in about 100–125 words on the ‘No Tobacco Day’ organized by your school on 4 June 20XX. 3.152 While returning from school you witnessed an accident involving a motorcycle and a bus resulting in the death of the motorcyclist on the spot. Write a report of the accident in about 100–125 words.
17. You are Rajan/Leela. You have observed that health clubs and beauty parlors are mushrooming everywhere. Recently the residents of your colony had attended a seminar on the subject wherein people talked about the growing awareness of health and beauty. Write a report in not more than 125 words for publication in a magazine.
18. Your school has organized an exhibition-cum-sale of the items made by students in their work experience classes. You had an excellent and overwhelming response from the parents and the visitors. The proceeds of the sale have been donated by your school in a function to Helpline India, an organization supporting the cause of orphans. Make a report of the same in 125 words to be published in your school bulletin/magazine.
19. You are Usha/Umesh. As the president of a voluntary organization, you have visited a slum area in your city that was destroyed in a massive fire. Write a report on the tragic situation of these homeless people to be published in a magazine. (Word limit: 125 words)