A debate is a formal discussion on a particular theme or topic. It is mostly conducted in a public setting in which people present their opposing arguments for or against a particular theme or topic.
Basic English Grammar rules can be tricky. In this article, we’ll get you started with the basics of sentence structure, punctuation, parts of speech, and more.
We also providing Extra Questions for Class 10 English Chapter wise.
Debate Writing for Class 10 Format, Examples, Topics, Samples
- To convey information orally to a large gathering of people, forcefully and convincingly, and to convert the listeners to the speaker’s point of view.
- To pass on a wide range of information to a wide range of audience orally.
- To express an opinion, share a point of view, experience, observation, etc.
Remember if you want to express your opinion about something and persuade other people, it may help you to follow the steps given below:
- Opening Statement/Quotation
- Respected Chairperson, members of the Jury, teachers and my dear friends
- I strongly support/reject/oppose the motion ….
- First reason: for/against ,
- Second reason: for/against
- My worthy opponent has just pointed out…. But I feel….
- Friends, don’t you agree with me when I say ….
- Although my opponent may feel….
- Summing up
Remember to include phrases like:
- I support the motion wholeheartedly ….
- I strongly oppose the motion ….
- I’d like to present my views ….
- I fail to understand why my worthy opponent feels ….
- I fully agree with the views expressed by ….
- I totally disagree with the view ….
- I reject….
- I submit… .
- I condemn ….
- I am amazed by the views expressed by ….
- I’d like to draw the attention of the members of the jury and my friends ….
- May I ask my worthy opponents …. ,
- Let me give you an example.
- Make sure you know what your opinion is and what reasons you can give for it.
- Give reasons why you agree/disagree with the other speakers.
Debate Writing Sample Example for Class 10 CBSE
The joint family system is gradually disintegrating in the country. Many elderly people get neglected because of the nuclear set up of families. It increases the need of homes for the aged. Write a debate for the motion ‘There Should be Homes for the Aged in India.’
Debate Writing Practice Example for Class 10 CBSE
3.6.1 Little Flower School, Gorakhpur, is observing a Health Awareness Week and is conducting a debate on the motion ‘Fast Food is Injurious to Health’. Based on the hints given below, your own ideas and ideas from the unit Health and Medicine from your Main Course Book, write a debate supporting the motion. Do not exceed 120 words. ‘
- kids making fast foods staple diet at the expense of nutritious food;
- leading to obesity and diabetes;
- affects their concentration, learning abilities and behavior;
- high school girl athletes are suffering more broken bones because they lack sufficient calcium;
- could also lead to hypertension and heart problems.