An advertisement for the classified columns in a newspaper should be brief as the price to be paid for the advertisement very much depends on the space taken.
An advertisement is a kind of public announcement asking for or offering services or buying and selling property, goods etc. or giving information about missing persons, pets etc. It is a potent medium deliberately used to influence the minds, tastes and even motives of the masses. It is an announcement made through a popular medium to target a large number of people.
Basic English Grammar rules can be tricky. In this article, we’ll get you started with the basics of sentence structure, punctuation, parts of speech, and more.
We also providing Extra Questions for Class 11 English Chapter wise.
The following points should be kept in mind while writing an advertisement:
- Give a heading to the advertisement.
- Full sentences are not written. The message is conveyed in brief phrases.
- No punctuation except for full stops is used.
- Draw a box around the advertisement.
Other advertisements in leaflets, or other spaces in a newspaper, can be written in full sentences using proper punctuation.
- Draw a box around all advertisements.
Advertisement Writing Class 11 Format, Examples
Classified advertising: Classified ads are placed by individuals wishing to advertise goods and services available or needed. The ads, as their name implies, are grouped according to the product or service type. Classified advertisers are billed by the word or the line. As a result, classified ads are generally brief and descriptive.
Display advertising: Display advertisements appear in various sizes on most pages throughout the newspaper. They contain artwork and other information that informs the customer about a business, a product or a service. Display advertising can be subdivided into local or retail and national advertising. Local or retail advertising emphasizes on merchandise, products or services available at stores or businesses in the community. National advertising on the other hand consists of ads that generally promote countrywide operations such as Air India.
Every newspaper has a separate section for classified advertisements. These advertisements are called classified advertisements as they are divided into categories or classes according to their subject matter and the function they perform, e.g., advertising vacant situations, sale and purchase of property or goods, property to – let, educational institutions, missing persons/pets, lost and found, and travels and tours.
Classified advertisements are kept brief and to the point as the advertiser is charged per word or per column line or even, per column centimeter. As a result, advertisers keep their classifieds brief by ignoring grammar, by using certain words and phrases peculiar to classifieds and by using abbreviations.
At times, classified advertisements do not mention the name, contact address or number of the advertiser but give a P.O. Box Number. The newspapers offer this facility to the advertiser to maintain secrecy.
Since the advertisement must catch the eye of the reader, it must be attractive. Every word must express an idea. However, brevity should not be at the cost of clarity.
The word limit for classified advertisements is 50 words.
The main characteristics of a classified advertisement are:
- categorized into columns according to different classes.
- brief and occupy less space.
- more economical.
- written in short phrases and words.
- language: simple and concise, factual and formal.
- no blocks or designs are to be made.
Important: The first one or two words of an advertisement may be written in capital letters. Marks will be deducted for exceeding the word limit.
A. Situation vacant
- preferably begin with ‘Wanted’ or ‘Required’
- name of the organisation
- post and number of vacancies
- essential qualifications and experience
- preferences: age and sex of the candidate
- other preferences/details (optional)
- pay scale and perks (including opportunities for growth)
- mode of applying/interview procedure
- contact address and phone number of advertiser
You are the general manager of leading industrial concern. You need a chartered accountant for your office. Draft an advertisement in not more than 50 words to be published in The Times of India, New Delhi, under the classified columns.
A leading advertising firm requires a computer data entry operator. Complete the advertisement they placed in the classified section of a national newspaper.
………………………… (b) ………………………… cum office assistant M/F graduate (c) ………………………… an advertising agency. Have excellent ………………………… computer skills and (d) ………………………… in CorelDRAW, photoshop software. PC Literate. Fluent in English. (e) ………………………… email@example.com
(b) a computer data operator
(c) with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in
(d) editing skills
(e) Send resume within 15 days to
- knowledge of making advertisements
- Send biodata with certificate copies and photograph to
- DATA ENTRY operator
- with min 2 – 3 yrs experience in
1. You are Ranjan Mohan, Director of Fourtrell Apparels. You are looking for a Sales and Marketing Manager for your company in the Southern Zone. Draft a suitable advertisement to be given in the ‘Situations Vacant column of Bengaluru News offering attractive remuneration.
2. Applications are invited from suitable candidates for the post of assistant in the Delhi administration. All applications are to be addressed to Director, Recruitment, Old Secretariat, 5, Rajpur Road, Delhi. Draft a suitable advertisement to this account in about 50 words giving necessary details.
3. A company from on the telecom and insurance sector requires customer service executives for its branch in Navi Mumbai. The company is looking for young dynamic people with good communication skills. Write an advertisement to be published in the classified columns of a local paper.
B. Situation wanted
- personal details: qualification and experience
- age and sex of the candidate
- other details (optional)
- preferences: type of job, area, locality
- expected pay scale and perks
- contact address and phone number
You are a qualified nurse in need of a job in or around Delhi. Write an advertisement for publication in the local daily.
4. Shubh/Shubha Marwah of M – 3, Neel Kamal Apartment, Simla, has a very sound knowledge of tourist places in the city. She wants to work as a tourist guide during the winter break. Draft a suitable advertisement for this account in about 50 words by giving the necessary details.
5. You are a Sales and Marketing Executive in need of a job in your hometown. Draft an advertisement for The National Times classified columns giving your qualification and experience.
6. An English PGT teacher who recently retired from his post is looking for a part-time teaching assignment. Draft an advertisement for The Daily News classified columns giving his qualifications, experience, and expected salary, and other necessary details.
C. Sale and purchase of property/vehicles/goods etc.
- preferably begin with Sale/Purchase or Available/Wanted
- type of accommodation/vehicles/goods
- brief physical description
- size, floor, number of rooms, flat/bungalow
- offices – covered area/carpet area; suitable for bank/MNC, etc.
- fixtures and fittings
- location and surroundings
- facilities – power connection, telephone connection, parking, washrooms/toilets/proximity to business/ shopping area
Hetal Modi, 23, of Rajpal Nagar, Rajkot wishes to sell her house as she is moving to England. Draft an advertisement for publication in the “For Sale” section of the newspaper.
7. You are Ashok/Ashmita of Lucknow. You have got a foreign assignment and will be going abroad soon for at least 10 years. You propose to sell your flat before going. Draft an advertisement for it to be published in the classified columns of The New Times, New Delhi.
8. You are Dr Madhu, M.D. You are looking for an independent house in Ghaziabad on a reasonable rent for your residence – cum – clinic. Draft a suitable advertisement in not more than 50 words to be published in The Daily Times, New Delhi. Your telephone no is 12341234.
9. You are the director of Hinduja Sales Corporation Ltd. You want a suitable residential accommodation in a good locality for yourself and your manager on a rent or lease basis. Draft an advertisement suitable to be printed in the Accommodation Wanted column of a local daily in not more than 50 words.
- make model/year of manufacturing
- colour features/accessories fitted
- ownership details
- kilometers run/done
- insurance details
- price expected
- contact details
You want to dispose of off your car, as you are going abroad. You are Harish of No. 10, Kailash Ganj, Lucknow. Draft an advertisement to be published in the daily, The Daily Times, under the classified columns.
10. You want to buy a second – hand AC for your car. Draft a suitable advertisement in not more than 50 words to be published in the classified columns of The Weekend Times. You are Suman/Sushil, 21, Ram Nagar, Delhi.
11. You are Geeta/Ganesh of 8, Narainpura, Baroda. You wish to buy a second–hand car. Draft an advertisement for The National giving your preferences.
12. You wish to sell your cycle. Place an advertisement in the classified section of a local daily giving suitable details.
(c) Household goods
- name of the item
- brand, model, year of manufacturing
- contact address/phone no.
You are Ashok/Ashita of Sitapur, Lucknow. You have got an assignment abroad and would be leaving for it soon. You have a television and a washing machine to sell. Draft a suitable advertisement to be displayed on the society’s noticeboard.
Ashish Philip wants to sell his cricket kit. Complete the advertisement he places in the classified section of a local newspaper. (a) …………………………. (b) …………………………. pads, gloves, helmet, leather ball, stomach guard, abdomen guard and (c) …………………………. (d) …………………………. Price 6000 non – negotiable CONTACT: (e) ………………………… . Ashish Philip 23/5 Munirka Enclave New Delhi.
(a) For Sale
(b) a cricket kit of
(c) a master blaster Kashmir willow bat
(d) Products are in excellent quality
- The bag is blue and grey
- a master blaster Kashmir willow bat
- FOR SALE
- between 4 pm and 9 pm
- SG cricket kit that includes
13. You are Vini/Vikram. You are leaving for Australia to pursue an engineering course and so wish to sell your high definition motion gaming with built-in 85 exciting real action wireless games. Draft a suitable advertisement, for publication in ‘The Indian Times’, advertising the sale of the gaming system, giving features, and relevant details.
14. You buy & sell used computers and laptops. Draft a suitable advertisement for publication in ‘The New India’ giving relevant details of goods you wish to purchase/sell.
15. Dhaval Patel wishes to sell his Annex Razr XT910 mobile which has been used for a period of 2 months only. Help him draft a suitable advertisement for publication in ‘The Daily Times’ giving features and relevant details.
(d) TO – LET
- preferably begin with “Wanted” or “Available”
- type of accommodation – number of bedrooms, size of rooms, bathrooms
- brief description – floor, porch, garage, store, lawn, garden
- direction/location: sun/park facing, well–lit, corner, proximity to market, school, etc.
- type of construction
- water/electricity supply
- preference of tenants – small family, company lease
- rent expected, other terms
- contact address/phone no
16. You want to let out a house. Prepare an advertisement to this effect, for publication in a newspaper giving the location of the building, nature of accommodation, rent expected, etc.
17. A reputed multinational company requires on lease for two years a three-bedroom independent flat/house in a posh locality, preferably around Defence Colony. Write out an advertisement in about 50 words suitable for publication in the classified columns of a local daily. Invent suitable details.
18. You want to rent a one-room set near your college. Draft a suitable advertisement in about 50 words to be printed in the classified columns of a newspaper.
D. Business proposals
- name/nature of the organisation
- specify what business
- requirement specifications
- contact address/phone
A well – established manufacturing group, Debra Apparels, is seeking agencies, franchisees and/or distributorship for the northern region and wants to advertise in a leading daily. Draft an advertisement for them.
You have recently started a coaching center for Yoga at Rajaji Nagar, Bangalore. Draft an advertisement in not more than 50 words to be published under the classified columns of The Deccan Herald.
19. You are the Director of a company providing security cleaning services to business establishments and other institutions. Draft an advertisement in not more than 50 words for the newspaper about your services.
20. You are the General Manager of a reputed sports goods manufacturing company. You are seeking large orders from schools, colleges, and stadia in the western part of the country. Draft an advertisement for a national daily about the same.
E. Travels and tours
- begin with “Package Available”
- name of the travel agency
- destination and duration
- details of the package – boarding, lodging, sightseeing
- cost and special discount
- contact address and phone number
You are running a Travel and Tourism Agency. Draft an advertisement to be published about it in a local daily giving all relevant details.
21. You are the proprietor of Rita Travels. You organise tours around the world. Draft an advertisement for a national daily in about 50 words.
22. You are the owner of a resort near Pune in the lap of nature. Draft an advertisement for a national daily in about 50 words inventing necessary details.
F. Educational institutions
- name the institution
- courses/classes offered
- eligibility criteria
- last date for registration
- address/contact details
Rama Natarajan is starting Bharatanatyam classes at her residence, 234, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad. Draft an advertisement to be published about it in a local daily giving all relevant details.
23. You are the director of a career guidance bureau which guide the students for various career courses through Aptitude Tests once a month. Write an advertisement suitable for insertion in the classified columns of a local daily. Draft an advertisement to be published about it in a local daily giving all relevant details in about 50 words.
24. You are Sweety Saini of Varanasi. You have started a yoga centre for school children. Draft an advertisement to be published in a local daily about it, giving all the relevant details. 25. You are Rajyalaxmi Walia. You are the director of a coaching institute, Meet Tutorials, Allahabad. Write an advertisement for admission to various technical courses being provided in your institution (Word limit: 50).
G. Missing persons/pets
- begin with the heading “Missing”
- brief physical description
- name, age, height, complexion, built,
- health/mental condition
- identification marks
- name, breed, colour, fur, etc.
- identifying features
- missing from where/when
- contact address and phone number
You are the brother of a boy who has been missing from his home for the last two days. Draft an advertisement under the caption “Missing” for a local newspaper. Provide suitable details and also offer a reward.
26. You are Ms. Ratika Sethi of Rajouri Garden, New Delhi. You lost your golden labrador while you were away from home. Draft an advertisement suitable to be given in the local newspaper with relevant details. Your advertisement should not exceed 50 words.
27. Your grandfather, who is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, has wandered off. He cannot be found. Place an advertisement in the classified section of a local daily asking for information about him. Offer a suitable reward.
H. Lost and found
- begin with “Lost” or “Found”
- specify if a person or item is lost
- brief physical description.
- when and where lost/found
- reward (optional)
- contact address and phone number
You found a woman’s handbag while traveling by the Rajdhani Express. Write an advertisement giving the description of the bag that may help in finding the owner.
While jogging in the park you found an MP3 player. Complete the advertisement you placed in the classified section of a local newspaper.
(a) …………………………. (b) …………………………. (c) ………………………….. Reply to this message with (d) …………………………. and your email id (e) ………………………….
(a) Found a black MP3
(b) in People’s park B5, Vasant Kunj
(c) last Tuesday
(d) the name on the device
(e) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MP3 player found
- the name on the device
- in People’s Park B5, Vasant Kunj
- at email@example.com
28. You have lost your briefcase containing important business documents while travelling in the Shatabdi Express from Chandigarh to New Delhi. Draft an advertisement for the Lost and Found section of the classified advertisements of a national daily. Offer suitable details/rewards. You are Vineet/Vineeta of 1164, Sector 11, Chandigarh.
29. You found a purse containing some money and an identity card while walking in the park. Write a suitable account in about 50 words in the Lost and Found column of your school noticeboard.
30. Vasudha lost her IMT certificate while travelling by train from Pune to Mumbai. Draft a suitable advertisement for the classified columns of the local daily giving all the relevant details.
I. Pets and livestock
- begin with “Sale” or “Purchase”
- specify animal/breed
- brief physical description
- other details – training, qualities etc.
- price expected .. contact address and phone number
Anurag Singh has started a business of sale of aquariums, fish and other related products. Help him draft an advertisement for the classified columns of a local newspaper.
31. Stephen North has a pair of young Alexander parrots for sale. He places an advertisement in the Kennels and Pets column giving details. Help him draft the advertisement,
32. You have started a business for pet accessories, food, toys and training. You also provide boarding facilities for pets. Draft an advertisement for the classified section of a local newspaper.
33. You wish to buy a pair of goldfish. Place an advertisement giving your requirements in the Livestock column of the newspaper.
- begin with “Appeal” or “Help Required”
- specify nature of an appeal
- brief description of the problem
- specify the help required.
- contact address and phone number
The father of a four – year – old child suffering from chronic liver disease does not have the money for treatment. Draft an appeal to be published in a newspaper on his behalf.
34. Six – year – old Aniket Uday Valanju needs to be operated upon for a congenital heart defect. The estimated cost of the surgery is 1,50,000 from admission to discharge. His father needs help. Draft an appeal to be published in a newspaper on his behalf.
35. Recent floods in Orissa, which left more than 200 people dead, have affected more than 2.1 million people in 3,128 villages. Draft an appeal to be published in a newspaper on behalf of the CM’s Relief Fund asking for donations to “CHIEF MINISTER’S RELIEF FUND, ORISSA”. All contributions to ORISSA CMRF may be sent to Joint Secretary to Government, GA (CMRF) Department, Orissa Secretariat, Bhubaneswar 751001, Orissa.
Corporate or industrial houses get eye-catching and glamorous advertisements for publicity and promotion of their products. These are displayed at prominent places for the desired effect or printed to target the maximum audience. These advertisements are designed for commercial purposes. Since they occupy more space, they are more expensive in terms of advertising costs, although they are likely to vary in shapes and size. They have to be attractive and eye-catching and to achieve this effect, they are made visually appealing with catchy headlines/ slogans, punch lines, witty expressions, and visuals.
The font size and type and proportionate spacing, too, vary with each advertisement for the desired visual appeal. The information, though brief, should be carefully worded to give complete information. There should be a perfect blend of content and style. The main issues should be highlighted in simple and intelligible words. The facts should be stated clearly. Apart from this, the tone and the mood of the advertisement should match the subject matter. The major difference is that in a classified advertisement, one has to be formal while in a commercial, one may adopt an informal and relaxed tone and style.
However unique the advertisement should be, it must always have:
- name and address of the advertising agency/institution/organiser
- details of the product/service advertised
- special attractions/discounts
You are the owner of a courier service. Draft an advertisement for the classified section of a local daily advertising your services.
36. The owner of a pest control agency has asked you to help him draft a commercial/display advertisement for him. Design the ad for him.
37. You have recently started a Travel and Tour agency. Design an advertisement to promote your agency.
38. A well – known fashion clothing chain in Mangalore, Sara’s, has extended its clearance sale” for three days. Frame a suitable commercial advertisement for the local newspaper.
You are working for an advertising agency. Draft an attractive advertisement for a company which is launching a new brand of toothpaste. (World limit – 50 words)
39. LD Electronics is launching a music album. You are the vice – president (Sales) of the company. Create a commercial advertisement for the same.
40. You have opened an eating joint called Salt N Pepper for quality continental food. Frame a suitable commercial advertisement.
41. You are working for an advertising agency. Draft an attractive advertisement for a company which is launching a new mobile phone.
Rekha Gupta plans to start hobby classes from the first of May to teach batik designing, glass painting, clay modelling and pottery. Draft an advertisement before the commencement of the new session.
42. Robin Books is launching a new novel by their bestselling author Debra McCabe. As the director (Marketing), design the advertisement.
43. Indus Education is holding a career counselling workshop for students of classes XI and XII. Students will be provided with aptitude testing, guidance regarding choice of career, admission possibilities, scholarships, etc. Draft the advertisement.
44. You have started Soft Skills Development classes for undergraduates. Draft a commercial advertisement for the newspaper. Give all the details.
Advertising An Event
Your school is staging Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Adventure of the Red-Headed League at a fundraiser for flood victims. Draft a commercial advertisement for the newspaper. Give all the details.
45. Frame a suitable display advertisement for a company manufacturing students’ abacus, teachers’ abacus, abacus covers, abacus pouches, and abacus boxes.
46. For a solid grounding and a wide perspective in the art of theatre, Ambuj Arts Institute, a theatre training institute, provides training in traditional Indian theatre forms, Asian drama, and western dramatic protocols. On behalf of the director of the institute, frame an advertisement for a local daily.
47. Your coaching centre, Genius Abacus and Vedic Maths, provides teacher training, summer workshops, and crash courses in abacus and Vedic maths. Frame a suitable display advertisement for the national newspapers – regarding the courses.