Doing A Ph.D. After MBA: The ‘road less taken’ can be simply called for Ph.D. after MBA. Not many people is seen to pursue a Ph.D. in Commerce; as it is a field that does not attract and relatively unknown many pursuers.
In the academic field, Ph.D. after MBA is more useful than a professional one. initially; The ROI and opportunity cost for this course are also not up to par, however, by saying that, it does not mean that the course is not worth it or useless. If a Ph.D. is done right then it can be quite rewarding.
- Ph.D. after MBA or Management
- Ph.D. Course Duration after MBA
- Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D. After MBA
- Can One do a Ph.D. after MBA?
- After MBA Available Top Ph.D. Courses
- How to Do a Ph.D. after MBA?
- Ph.D. After MBA in India
- Can I actually do a Ph.D. after Distance MBA?
- Ph.D. After MBA – In Distance Education
- Ph.D. After MBA Abroad – Entrance Exams & Admission Process
- Top-Most Abroad Universities for Pursuing PhD after MBA
- Best Countries to Study PhD after MBA Abroad
- Ph.D. After MBA in USA
- Ph.D. After MBA in Australia
- Ph.D. After MBA in Germany
- Ph.D. After MBA Finance
- Scope Of Ph.D. after MBA in Finance
- Ph.D. in Management
- Career Scope, Employment, and Salary for Doing a Ph.D. after MBA
- FAQ’s on Doing A Ph.D. after MBA
Ph.D. after MBA or Management
As one may expect it to be, Ph.D. after MBA may not be as advantageous. After getting done with an MBA, rather than pursue a Ph.D., many prefer to increase their work experience, but if you are interested in doing research in the field of your interest, a Ph.D. may be the perfect course for a person to take up.
Ph.D. researchers or individuals also get a chance to do individual research and study, apart from the extensive knowledge which the course provides, which puts them quite apart from other managers.
- The course requires a lot of dedication and rigorous hard work in Ph.D.
- A lot of time needs to be invested by someone with a Ph.D., which can be tedious.
- The Ph.D. course combines practical application with theoretical knowledge.
- There are many practical methods and approaches like field studies, econometrics, experimental methods, etc., which are mostly used during Ph. D.s.
- For those who want to teach Management, Ph.D. is for them.
- The profession of the Professor is most sought after and reputable.
- Ph.D. researchers also work as consultants in top firms.
- Ph.D. increases their analytical skills and trains researchers.
- Because of their skillset, positions in analytics are offered commonly to Ph.D. researchers.
- One may not quite earn much before getting tenure, and the growth is considerably slow.
Do Refer: Career Objective for MBA
Ph.D. Course Duration After MBA
Depending on the research topic, methodologies, and time and labor investment, the duration for Ph.D. after MBA may vary.
On average, it may take 4 to 5 years for the completion of a Ph.D.. Depending on the country and institution, the duration may also vary.
Country Duration (Average)
- India – 3 years
- USA – 5-7 years
- UK – 3-4 years
- Australia – 4-6 years
- Germany – 3-5 Years
Eligibility Criteria for Ph.D. After MBA
Eligibility Criteria for a Ph.D. after an MBA must be an MBA degree, as one may assume. But that’s not so.
There are many other criteria for eligibility, as well. To pursue a Ph.D. after MBA, one must fulfill being eligible for a Ph.D. after MBA, and the following are the criteria.
- One must have an acceptable TOEFL or IELTS exam score to prove their proficiency in the English language.
- One must also have a respectable, which may vary as per the university of GRE/GMAT score.
- Students must also submit their essays, transcript and SOP.
- Letters of Recommendation are required. At least 2 to 3 times to be submitted by the aspiring student.
- Oftentimes, an interview is conducted either online via video call or physically to test student’s eligibility and knowledge.
- Students must have a thesis statement or an idea and a dissertation ready.
- It is crucial that the students are well versed to have a clear idea and what they want to do about their objectives.
- The acceptance rate at top-rated Business Schools is around 3 to 5%.
Can One do a Ph.D. after MBA?
Yes, one actually can do a Ph.D. after MBA. There are various business schools worldwide that offer Ph.D. programs after an MBA, which can be pursued.
For the MBA itself, some years of work experience is required by many schools. The Student may already have the direction they want to take in their life by choosing to pursue an MBA.
A Ph.D. after an MBA is not quite a popular choice, but many students still decide to pursue the research either for better opportunities or out of interest. To pursue a Ph.D., the criteria for eligibility include more than 50% or more marks in your post-graduation, and students are also required to take up an entrance exam. The field of Ph.D. is open for the Student or for anyone who has done an MBA.
After MBA Available Top Ph.D. Courses
A student may choose from several Ph.D. courses after MBA. Due to its vast scope, there is no dearth of specialization in the field of management.
As the Ph.D. in Management is an unexplored field, each research in each area is equally important.
There are several available courses one may take, like:
- Human Resource Management
- Commercial Law
- Operational Research
- Healthcare and Management
- Organizational Behaviour
- Computer Science
- Political Science
How to Do a Ph.D. after MBA?
For students who actually want to do a Ph.D. after their MBA is done, there are many options. It is important that for the duration of 2 years, the MBA course the candidate has done.
The students must choose their work and field of interest in that direction and also most important.
Students always have the choice to pursue a Ph.D. in abroad or India. The application process for both remains more or less the same. To do a Ph.D. after an MBA abroad, one has to additionally give language proficiency exams like IELTS or TOEFL and exams like GMAT or GRE.
For India, exams like CAT are applicable.
Ph.D. After MBA in India
- One must have a good score in their CAT exam and a two-year MBA degree.
- For admission in their Ph.D. courses, GATE or even UGC NET may be required at some top IIMs.
- A Ph.D. may actually vary from 3 to 5 years on average, and it is important to note that the duration.
- In the first year of Ph.D., the candidates are trained in research methodologies and subjects, etc. and are mostly dedicated to the coursework.
- In the second year, one may choose the area in which they will be conduction research and their specialization.
- It is often advisable that students actually choose the area for research in which they have specialized during their MBA. It is, however, not quite compulsory.
- A Ph.D. thesis is the most essential part of any Ph.D., and during their second year only, it is important that students start developing it.
- In the third year, after they have researched and collected data, a student is asked to present their thesis statement.
- After the first six months of the third year, students are free to write their research papers and Ph.D. and do their research.
- The whole process can be quite time-consuming, but the only trick here is to be very resilient.
Can I actually do a Ph.D. after Distance MBA?
- Yes, you can obviously do a Ph.D. after a distance MBA.
- The institute must be recognized by the UGC.
- Universities are not allowed to differentiate between the degrees.
- The degree earned and mentioned in the eligibility criteria must be in tandem.
- As the process for regular courses, the application process is as same.
- Candidates must submit their essays, SOPs, mark sheets, documents, etc., like any other regular candidate.
- Mostly on entrance exams and interviews, the admission in a Ph.D. program is based.
- Over the ones who did pursue their degrees via distance education mode, Some institutes may prefer regular students.
- The decision is solely based on the discretion of the university to select a candidate or not.
Ph.D. After MBA – In Distance Education
In Distance Education, one can definitely do a Ph.D. after MBA, but few things actually need to be taken into consideration.
It is important and mandatory that the institution from where the candidate has pursued their MBA in Distance education form is recognized by any other supreme commission as relevant to the country or by the UGC.
Also, for the Ph.D. program, one is applying to, the degree must match the eligibility criteria as well.
Ph.D. After MBA Abroad – Entrance Exams & Admission Process:
If you are actually planning to pursue a Ph.D. after an MBA, especially from abroad, then the following points will help and guide you through the application process and entrance exams:
- For global universities, the application process is very different from the universities of India. You actually don’t have to give any entrance exam to pursue a Ph.D. after an MBA from abroad; rather, the GMAT / GRE score is needed to submit.
- Previous project and research work matter, LORs, SOPs, and a lot when you are actually looking to pursue a Ph.D. abroad. They increase the chances of getting selected by making your profile strong.
- For Ph.D. programs, most of the universities have a 3-5% acceptance rate. Thus, it is vital to make your application strong; get in touch with experts if you need any help regarding the same.
- You need to work on your specific thesis, submit it in the provided duration as the curriculum more or less remains the same in Ph.D., and complete your Ph.D. after MBA.
Top-Most Abroad Universities for Pursuing Ph.D. after MBA
For better assistance at the time of your research on Ph.D. Courses after completion of MBA, we have enlisted some of the significant academic universities that are globally famous for their advanced specialized courses on Ph.D. after MBA:
|Harvard University, US||Pacific States University, US|
|Technical University of Munich, Germany||INSEAD, France|
|Robert Gordon University, UK||University of Wales, UK|
|Southern Illinois University, US||ISEG, Portugal|
|Taylor’s University, Malaysia||Heidelberg University, Germany|
|Alliant International University||University of California- Berkeley|
Best Countries to Study Ph.D. after MBA Abroad
Most of the popular abroad destinations for Ph.D. studies are UK, USA, Australia, Germany, and Canada. These countries are notable for their research doctoral courses so choosing the best country to study Ph.D. is a crucial decision. So, decide carefully by doing deeper research about the course and universities in all countries. Let’s have a glance at the top countries to study Ph.D. after MBA and their popular research universities below for some idea:
Ph.D. After MBA in the USA
Ph.D. after MBA in the USA is the most popular place; because of a highly research-friendly environment, it especially is a great place to pursue a Ph.D. after an MBA.
The USA offers students unlimited data and resources to facilitate their research as it is home to the top business schools. The amenities are quite good here, which are provided to Ph.D. researchers.
- University of Pennsylvania
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- The University of California
- Columbia University
- Kellogg School of Management
- The University of Chicago
- Washington University
- Cornell University
- University of Michigan
Ph.D. After MBA in Australia
Ph.D. after MBA in Australia is also home to many great universities, and it is a very pleasant place to be at.
Ph.D. programs after MBA are offered by many great B-schools present. For applying practical methods, there is a lot of scopes and here because of the way corporates and businesses are run here.
Students will be provided with quite a lot of opportunities to collect primary as well as secondary data and conduct researches.
- Australian National University
- UNSW Sydney
- University of Western Australia
- University of Sydney
- University of Melbourne
- University of Queensland
- Monash University
- University of Adelaide
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Canberra
Ph.D. After MBA in Germany
Probably the best place to pursue a Ph.D. after an MBA in Germany because of the varieties of facilities like the grant which are made available for students studying.
Germany has the best management programs and boasts of some of the best universities in the world as well. Many universities in Germany offer great guidance to students to help them in their research work and Ph.D. in management.
- University of Berlin
- University of Hamburg
- LMU Munich
- Technical University of Munich
- Heidelberg University
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- RWTH Aachen University
- University of Freiburg
- Bielefeld University
Ph.D. After MBA Finance
One of the topmost and popular specializations is a Ph.D. after MBA in Finance. The scope is vast, and the opportunities are quite endless.
Though the subject for those interested may seem challenging, it has a plethora of research ideas and opportunities.
Expertise in subjects like Mathematics and Economics is required by Ph.D. in Finance.
The top universities which are offering this program are:
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies
- IIT Delhi
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- University of Adelaide
- The Centurion University of Technology and Management
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science
- Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT)
Scope Of Ph.D. After MBA in Finance
Opportunities after opportunities are present in Ph.D. after MBA in Finance. There is a wide and deep scope of opportunities, and many companies to hire because of their skill and both practical and theoretical knowledge do look out for such candidates. Top companies seek to recruit candidates who have completed their Ph.D. in Finance and like the ones mentioned below.
- TATA Consultancy
- Genpact Technologies Ltd
- ICICI Bank
Ph.D. in Management
One of the highest degrees of academic awarded in the study of management is a Ph.D. in management. For those seeking teaching careers and academic research as professors or faculty in the field of management at business schools worldwide, a Ph.D. in Management degree was designed.
Following are some Benefits of PhD after MBA
- Helps you become a better thinker: More than just consume what has been taught in the classes, a good Ph.D. in Management program encourages you to do more – it teaches you to become a good thinker and create more. One will achieve newer levels of critical thinking by moving past passive learning, which you can apply in new ways in your field of interest as well as your career.
- To gain an edge: A Ph.D. in Management is essential and immediately marketable, especially in today’s workforce, provide an asset that will give you a competitive advantage. A Ph.D. in Management proves the expertise in your field of study; you have an impressive level of credibility and a lifelong commitment to learning which will help you fulfill your professional goals.
- Become a competitive scholar-practitioner: A Ph.D. in Management will give you the confidence and knowledge but present at them instead of just attending academic conferences. You’ll discover your write a dissertation, may find yourself authoring peer-reviewed articles published in your field’s leading journals, and may have a scholarly voice.
- Skills enhancement: A Ph.D. in Management can actually help you enhance valuable skills and gain that are universally applicable to any kind of field. They are empowering you to make more of an impact in your current role by giving you expertise outside of your organization by the degree, which in turn helps people around you as well. You may find colleagues turning to you for guidance, Once you begin your studies.
Career Scope, Employment, and Salary for Doing a Ph.D. After MBA
Somewhere between 8 Lakhs to 18 Lakhs per annum, Ph.D. after MBA salary in India is depending upon whether you explore the academic domain working as a lecturer or academician or working in a corporate sector.
For graduates with a Ph.D. in Commerce-related specializations and Management below, we have elucidated upon the major employment sector:
- Teaching: A Ph.D.’s most popular career path post is that of becoming a professor or teacher. Most Ph. D.s in management or business pursue it in the first place to pursue a career in particular academics. Further, to hire Ph.D.’s like business school professors, most of the research universities prefer. Suppose you aim to become a part of Ivy League schools or other prestigious academic institutions because of this striking combination coupled with a few years of professional experience. In that case, you should definitely go for a Ph.D. degree after MBA. It can make you an ideal candidate for the position of lecturer or university professor at a business school. Nearly 75% of business ‘Ph.D. after MBA’ graduates at business schools become faculty members, to give a rough statistical description, and roughly 25% take jobs in the industry.
- Research: A Ph.D. involves extensive analysis and is quite a data-driven degree and in-depth assessment as it constitutes various submissions of a multiple research thesis as its incremental element. If you have planned to pursue a career in research, but combining it with a Ph.D. might give you the knowledge and expertise of both the research world as well as corporate, and an MBA is more of a route of professional to take. You can further enter various research sectors with a versatile skill set by getting the taste of both these areas, which will prove extremely useful in carrying out path-breaking contributions and case studies with the potential of bringing a newer light to the commercial industry.
- Corporate Sector: As a common myth, you might be told that in the professional world, a doctorate degree is of no use, but it is quite the opposite as a Ph.D. after an MBA can furnish you with the outstanding business acumen to fit the role of business consultants and analysts. As many of the doctoral scholars move further to become professors or researchers, only a small proportion of them head towards the industry. As this degree provides aspirants with the understanding of employing Ph.D. s derive wisdom from their theoretical and unique methodologies for analysis, which, when combined with the pragmatic training obtained during MBA, marks for a marvelous body of knowledge. You can explore varied prospects in entrepreneurship ventures as well as companies like SEC, JP Morgan Chase, McKinsey, and Morgan Stanley, which are known to hire Ph. D.s frequently.
FAQ’s on Doing A Ph.D. After MBA
What Ph.D. should I get after my MBA?
For students who want to do a Ph.D. after their MBA is done, there are many options. The MBA course the candidate has done must be for the duration of 2 years, and it is important. The most common career path after that is chosen is teaching.
Is an MBA higher than a Ph.D.?
Compared to a Ph.D. that takes 4-6 years, you can complete your MBA in 1- 2 years. It allows them to start their career far sooner for the student, so the MBA is considered advantageous.
Can I do a Ph.D. while working?
Yes, you can do a Ph.D. while working, but this can only happen if you are keen to work. Working full time and doing a Ph.D. is not easy; you won’t make progress without constant effort.
Can I do a Ph.D. at 40?
Yes, you can do a Ph.D. at the age of 40; most of the person who does this are mostly in the education sector. The only problem that comes up is that not all programs will be open for you.